My First Rave Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Never in a million years would I have imagined myself at a rave. To be honest, I never saw the appeal of it and always thought it was more for people who do drugs (as ignorant as that sounds.) But when my friend spontaneously called me one night and asked if I wanted to go to LED that weekend, I realized that I couldn’t decide whether or not I would have fun unless I actually went, so I agreed.

Right when I said, “yes” I thought of all the reasons why I might not have a good time – the rave lasted for 7 hours, I knew how tired I would be by the end of the night, and I did not want to be on any drugs. I thought about these things throughout the weekend, but when the end of the night finally rolled around I was mostly excited to be with my friends. Everything I was worried about was not really a big deal. Yes, I was pretty dead by 4AM but the whole night went a lot better than I expected. 

There were people on drugs, some guys who tried to dance with me, and a whole lot of sweating, but I honestly had such a great night because of my friends. I didn’t need to be on any drugs to enjoy my time and the music. I think there’s a lot of stigma around raves and people who go to them, but (like everything else in life) it’s not something you can judge unless you’ve been to one. 

All in all, I think that I would go to another rave as long as I have good company and it probably would have been a bonus if I knew some of the artists who were playing. If you’re thinking about attending a rave for the first time, I highly suggest attending smaller events and then building up to an actual rave to see how you like it! And there is definitely no pressure to do anything you are not comfortable with, especially if you are with people who respect that. 

Cindy is a San Diego native currently attending the University of California, Santa Barbara. As a 2nd year Global Studies major she aspires to work in the PR or marketing industry. During her free time she enjoys hanging out with friends, admiring the breathtaking IV sunsets, napping, shopping, or binge watching favorite TV shows. 
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay