Mistakes You Need to Stop Making After Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

·      Eating unhealthy—After you’ve experienced the freshman 15 and having pizza for every meal at the dining commons, you’re going to need to be more responsible with your dietary needs. Your metabolism is slowing down and all of the ramen and late night junk food is going to catch up with you.

·      Getting sloppy drunk—for a lot of people college means freedom. You are no longer supervised by your parents and you can get crazy without the obvious repercussions. As a baby freshman we all expect you are going to take advantage of this, but it’s not cute or cool to be black out drunk every weekend. Learn to hold your liquor or tone it down a few notches (PS your hangovers WILL get worse. Take this as a sign from your body to cool it.)

·      Revisiting f*ck boys (or girls)—No, they haven’t changed. Move on.

·      Thinking you have time—as a senior graduating in March (yikes) I want you to know, you don’t. Life is not short. In fact, it is the longest thing you will ever do. College, however, is. Take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way.

·      Thinking everyone is looking out for you—I’m sorry to burst your little naïve Disney bubble, but no one is going to hold your hand through this. Yes, there are people like your RA’s or professors who are taking it easy on you as you adjust your first year, but that goes away. It’s time you learn how to be Miss Independent.

·      Neglecting School to party—all work and no play makes Jack a very dull boy. Go out and have fun, but find a balance. Not all of your classes are going to be a piece of cake, they are lower divisions for a reason.

·      Forgetting to call home—As a freshman, you get caught up in college life. The parties, the clubs, the social gatherings, but don’t forget to call home every once in awhile and remind your family and friends how much they mean to you. These are the people that will still be around long after you graduate.

Brenna is a senior and global studies major at UCSB. Her goal in life is to be a comedy writer and the proud owner of an alpaca farm in South America. She enjoys sarcasm, wine and everything fine.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.