Meet Alexandra, The Super-Involved First-Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Name: Alexandra Leal Silva

Major: Political Science and History of Public Policy

Minor: Theater

Year: First-year

Hometown: Menifee, CA

Favorite Netflix Show to Binge Watch:  Madam Secretary

What organizations are you involved in?

I am a news reporter, news anchor, and reader at KCSB Radio; a Fellow of the External Vice President of Statewide Affairs; the MultiCultural Chair in Hall Council; the event coordinator of Blu Nite; Real Life; videographer, opinion writer, and Arts Week writer of the Daily Nexus; A.S. CAB; Lobby Core; Score; Life of the Party; and the student advisor chair of the UC system of It’s On Us.    

How did you hear about these organizations?

I found out about them through various sources such as applications on Facebook, UCSB’s Org Fair, and my RA and RD.  I am an adventurous person so I am always looking for something new to try!

What motivates you to get so involved, considering you could have easily settled with just two or three organizations?

I love the idea of making an impact on campus. I am very passionate about what I do and I always think why not go for it? There’s really no reason not to. You’ve just got to know your limits; I am student leader, but always a student first.

What are some of your goals for the next few years here at UCSB?

Staying on track to graduate in four years, I am here to get a degree first and foremost!  In more vague terms, I want to be able to know that the school I leave is different from the school when I came in.  A nonacademic goal would be to drive on the freeway — it’s kind of essential!

Where do you see yourself after you graduate from UCSB?

My short-term plan is to attend the Disney College program in which I attend Disney conferences and work for Disney for 3-4 months.  Then I want to join the Peace Corps Response 8-10-month mission and do a fellowship at the State Capitol.  My long-term plan is to attend law school and while in law school join the Air Force Reserve. 

Do you have any advice for students looking to get more involved on campus?

First, see where you are at (how’s your schedule? how much time can you allocate to extracurricular activities?), know your limits, and most importantly don’t overextend yourself.  Second, go for what you’re passionate about and what you’re interested in!

Do you have a personal slogan or motto that you live by?

My personal slogan is: we did not inherit the planet from our parents; we borrow it from our children. 

Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay