A Makeup Artist’s 3 Steps to Flawless, Foundation Free Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s a simple fact of life, most of us aren’t born with flawless, poreless, radiant complexions. However, with a few simple skincare tips and tricks, you can go from spending 45 minutes on your makeup to *dare I say* foundation-free. Yes, you read that correctly. As a former Bare Minerals Beauty Ambassador and makeup artist, I’ve worked on countless of different faces with all types of skin struggles and I’m here to help you achieve your skin goals!

Image via Into the Gloss

Here’s the inside scoop on how to achieve glowy, flawless, foundation free-skin:

Step 1: Scrub, Scrub, Scrub

If you experience dry patches, clogged pores, uneven texture, minor acne breakouts, or dull skin, exfoliation is your new best friend.

Think of your skin as the dirty front-view mirror of a car. Whenever you wash your windows, you don’t just pour soapy water and call it a day, do you? Of course not! Similar to how you would squeegee the dirt off, your face needs a physical object to lift off all the dead skin cells and grime as well. For clear, glowy skin, I prefer to use all-natural exfoliating products 2-3 times a week to keep my face looking nice and fresh.

Image via Total Beauty

Give your skin a wake-up call with Lush’s Cup O’ Coffee featuring real ground coffee to clear your pores of any gunk and bentone for deep cleansing!

Step Two: Oils Are Essential to Smooth, Glowy Skin!

A major part of rocking a foundation-free face is skin with even tone and texture. The most effective way to combat any blemishes, red patches or target spots on your face is rubbing in some daily essential oils and serums. These little bottles of magic are super potent and bring major changes, fast!

To transform bumpy skin into smooth satin all around, try using serums featuring hyaluronic acid which fights uneven skin texture and lightens acne scars, so you can say bye to your concealer too! Try Glossier’s Super Bounce Serum for the perfect dose of hyaluronic acid and vitamin B5.

Image via Glossier

If your skin is thirsty, quench it with some Rosehip Oil! This all-natural trick not only smells amazing (we’re talking the inside of Anthropologie amazing), it also seeps into your pores and helps soften any dry patches!

Step 3: Mask On, Mask Off

Most girls see face masks as a “treat yourself” type of occasion, but nightly masks do wonders for your skin! By switching between exfoliating, deep moisturizing, and brightening masks, nightly masks are essentially giving your face the extra oomph in whatever department it needs!

If you’re looking to do beauty on a budget, test out Freeman’s Face Masks! They’ve got a variety of masks to swap between, so have fun with it!

Image via Amazon

Even though these steps will help your skin become smoother, clearer, and more radiant, the real key to rocking foundation-free skin is confidence! As a makeup artist, I’ve come to terms with the fact there will always be tiny things that aren’t “perfect”, but they make human and that’s beautiful in and of itself. So enjoy flaunting your fresh face and embracing your newly pampered skin — we’re sure you look amazing!

Isabelle is a third-year Gaucho who has never met a dog she didn't like. She's tackling a double major in Communication and Psychology as well as minors in Art & Technology and Education. In her free time, Isabelle enjoys sipping boba, snapping photos, and spending time with her amazing partner.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)