This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

College is expensive. Rising tuition, student fees, housing, a trip to Freebirds—expenses like these add up quickly for students attending the #5 public university in the nation.

That usually leaves us less to spend on things we want to, like the people in our lives that we care about. Gifts and dinner dates are not only customary but standard in most relationships, romantic and otherwise. For broke college students, these things aren’t always a possibility. 

That doesn’t mean we can’t love—it just means we get to be a little more creative in how we express it. Here are a few ideas:

Use Your Words

Putting your feelings into words outside of the usual “I love you” can be incredible reminders to your loved ones of the significance they have in your life. Handwritten letters are a poetic way to go about it, channeling 2000s rom-coms and passing notes in English class. There’s a reason that trope was so popular.

“What if I have bad handwriting?” “What if my loved one is 100 miles away?”

NoteIt provides that passing-notes feeling through a touch screen. The app, available for Android and Apple devices, allows you to draw notes that appear as a widget on your partner’s phone. It serves as a constant reminder that your loved ones are in your thoughts, which is an incredibly heart-warming feeling. 

Share Things You Love, Together

One of the best ways to keep a relationship alive is to do things you both love, together. Sharing the things you’re most passionate about with your partner can bring you two even closer together.

Looking to share something as personal as music taste? An easy way to do that is to make them a playlist. Recommend them your favorite songs, or curate a playlist you think they would love. Collaborative playlists also allow you and your loved one to add songs when you feel like it and get a better sense of the other’s music taste. Even better, create a Spotify blend with your partner so both of your music tastes are in one place.

Love movies? Plan a movie night. Have a favorite cafe? Ask them on a study date and order your favorite drink for 2. Love fashion? Have each of you pick outfits for the other and wear them out. 

You get the idea. Keep your love alive by sharing the things you love with the people you love.

being a student has its perks

Being a student has its advantages, especially when it comes to saving money. Music, movie, and beach dates are easy to do here in Isla Vista.

The AS Program Board at UCSB hosts a variety of events from free movies to concerts. Most are free or under $10 for students! Take your friends or partner and enjoy affordable entertainment as one of the perks of being a student. 

Catch live music in Isla Vista by following the Isla Vista Rec & Park District on Instagram! A variety of community events are hosted throughout the city, including their Music in the Park Series and Generation Recovery Festival. Check them out with the ones you love for a fun experience enjoying the best Isla Vista has to offer.

Showing affection to the people you care about the most doesn’t have to break the bank, especially while you’re in college. Often, the most meaningful gestures we can do for our loved ones cost little to nothing in terms of money. Money is only a small component of the relationships we treasure the most. Don’t be afraid to spend the most important things – time and effort – on your loved ones. Your relationships will be better because of it.

Alexa Tan

UCSB '25

Hello! I'm Alexa, a second-year Communication major. When I'm not writing, you can probably find me scrolling through Pinterest or shuffling my KR&B playlist.