Lorde Inc: the First Non-White Modeling Agency

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

With the start of 2016, there is so much to look forward to in popular culture: the Oscars, new movie releases, Netflix’s newest shows, and of course new fashion trends!

With the fashion industry always being in high demand, there’s an increased demand for fashion shows, in-store merchandise, and most importantly, models. Fashion Week may change a whole lot this year with Lorde Inc. now making a huge presence in the fashion world.

In case you’ve been MIA in social media, Lorde Inc. is the FIRST non-white modeling agency that has recently been gaining attention! Lorde Inc. was founded by Nafisa Kaptownwala.

Kaptownwala took matters into her own hands (literally with a camera in hand!) and began to recruit models for her agency the good old fashion way – walking down the streets of London, New York, and Toronto and asking people if she could take pictures of them. With her growing modeling agency, Kaptownwala is making sure that the momentum keeps going. In just over a year, she has successfully booked gigs with Adidas, a big name brand that will further push her modeling agency!

In a world that is completely fascinated with the European standard of beauty, it’s a step in the right direction to have a woman of color build an agency where models have a place where their look is accepted. Not only is Lorde Inc. bringing attention to people of color in the fashion industry but in popular culture as well. Having a creator who is of color has a ripple effect, allowing more models of color to be hired to do ad campaigns, fashion shows, etc. Take Kanye West, for example. His fashion show is far different than other fashion shows. Kanye has more models of color in his show than other fashion brands do, such as Chanel, where a lot of the models are white or embody the white Eurocentric standard of beauty.

Although this is a relatively new modeling agency and a lot of Lorde Inc. is under works, you should definitely keep an eye out for these models because big things are set to come out in the future! Kaptownwala has talked about how the modeling world isn’t ready for a drastic change but she is more than prepared for the criticism and obstacles that will come her way and we are, too!

Click here to check out the office Lorde Inc. site

Elizabeth Vasquez graduated from UC Santa Barbara back in 2016 with a BA in English. Elizabeth currently resides in the Silicon Valley area and works for Modern Luxury Silicon Valley magazine as a marketing & events coordinator. When she isn't working, Elizabeth enjoys dining out with friends, reading a book and spending time with her two dogs. See what she is up to on Instagram: @iamelizabethvasquez and on Twitter: @MissElizabethLV
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.