This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

I’ve never done splatter nail art before, but I have always thought it looked really cool so I wanted to try it out. How hard could it be? Wrong. So wrong. This was definitely one of the hardest manicures that I have tried before. Don’t get me wrong–it turned out very well–I just thought the manicure took an awful lot of time for how messy and carefree it’s supposed to look. Then again, maybe I was doing it totally wrong.

What you’ll need: a base color, 3 accent colors (1 should be metallic or sparkly), and nail polish remover.

*Note: You should probably do this outside or somewhere that you don’t care about being messy because the splatters from the nail polish get everywhere.

1. I painted my nails navy blue. I used Revlon’s “Urban” from Ulta–it’s an amazing navy blue color!

2. Put some lotion around your cuticles so it’s easier to get the left over nail polish off (the other nail polish colors get everywhere). 

3. To get the splatter effect I held the nail polish brush over each nail so a big drop would form and fall onto my nail. For the bigger ones I used 2-3 drops of polish.

4. After you drip the nail polish onto your nail, fling your hand so the nail polish will splatter and spread across your nail. I found that this was the most effective way to get the polish to splatter with what tools I had available. Nonetheless, the other blogs I read regarding splatter nail art recommended people to use straws for this part. So if you have one handy dip one end in the polish and blow on the other end over your nail. I also read about a few people creating splatter decals to get this look–they would paint their design on a plastic bag then cut up the design and stick it to their nail with clear polish.

5. Once you have gotten your nail art perfected, go around your cuticle/finger with nail polish remover to get rid of the extra nail polish.

6. Put a little bit of clear topcoat on and you are done!

This is a super cute design to try out, but I think next time I will try the straw trick. Have an idea that you want me to try out? Let me know in the comment box below!

University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus