Life > Experiences

Kozy Craft Coffee: Isla Vista’s New Espresso Oasis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

The opening of Kozy Craft Coffee has taken Isla Vista’s coffee culture to a new level. 

Reaching the tail end of the food-filled, recreational, “downtown” part of Pardall Road, lies the newest establishment, Kozy Craft Coffee. Since its recent opening to the public, it has amassed a large cult following — and it’s easy to see why!

In just one moment after stepping into the laid-back, dimly lit, espresso-oasis, I was transported into something out of the “hipster-LA-coffee-shop” scene. My first impression: Caje is out, Kozy is in (sorry, Caje Cult)!

Upon first arrival, an array of pastries caught my eye, and in perfect timing as my mid-morning hunger had just started to settle in. After deciding on the pain au chocolat, I lifted my eyes to the perfectly crafted menu hanging in front of me. In need of a major caffeine kick, I knew that I wanted an iced coffee, but now standing before me were flavor combinations I had not considered. Would I get a raspberry almond milk latte, or a lavender coconut milk latte? Or perhaps, the Madagascar vanilla oat milk latte? I knew a vanilla oat milk latte was my safest bet and a surefire option to please my taste palette, and the Madagascar vanilla bean twist to the classic vanilla latte intrigued me. 

Before making the final decision, I consulted with a barista. I asked her what she recommended from the menu and, sure enough, she gleamingly referred me to the Madagascar vanilla iced latte. 

I waited for a total of two minutes for my order to be ready, and practically ran to the chime of my name being called to the counter. In dire need of caffeine, I plunged a straw in and took to sipping. To say that I was awestruck would be an understatement — what filled my mouth was a delectable current of flavor I’d never previously had in Isla Vista!

Although my drink was iced, the notes of the Madagascar vanilla filled me with warmth. Creamy, flavorful, and richly vanilla, this latte filled my insatiable desire to find a perfect latte in Isla Vista. Not too sweet, but still reminiscent of a tub of vanilla ice cream (in the best way), this latte really took me by surprise. Whether it was the espresso beans or the Madagascar vanilla syrup, the matrimony of the two made for the perfect concoction. 

Kozy Craft Coffee beholds a collection of drinks and pastries just waiting to be tried, and although I have found my new go-to coffee order in all of Isla Vista (the Madagascar Vanilla Latte with oat milk), I will definitely be back to switch up my assortment and try the other items they have to offer.

On its way to becoming a classic, this coffee shop is now ranked at the top of my list of coffee shops in all of Goleta. Whether you are looking to accompany a study session or to grab a quick drink before stumbling to class in the morning rush, Kozy Craft Coffee has the perfect drink for any occasion.

Hello! I am a third year Communication major here at UCSB. I love trying new food places, going to museums, getting coffee with friends, and traveling. I am so excited to write and share my life, thoughts, and experiences.