KEN WAS NOMINATED FOR AN OSCAR — WHY NOT BARBIE?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

In the past year, Barbie was by far the most successful box office film. The movie idealizes a world where women are encouraged to excel in their respective professions and aspirations, whatever they may be. 

The film touches on the harm that the patriarchal structure in our society brings to both men and women. The movie was an artistic plea for a more supportive world where women are celebrated. Due to its introspective and also fun themes, the film made “more than $1.3 billion at the worldwide box office, (and) it became one of the only female-dominated movies among the top-grossing films of all time.” 

Many people were disappointed to see that the director, Greta Gerwig, and lead actress, Margot Robbie, of Barbie weren’t nominated for this year’s 96th Academy Awards. However, both Ryan Gosling, who plays Ken, was nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role, and America Ferrera, who plays Gloria in the film, was also nominated for Best Actress in a Supporting Role (which is awesome!).

barbie movie behind the scenes 0003?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Why are people upset?

Many are in an uproar because the leading ladies of the film were not being celebrated for their artistic and professional feats, while “Ken” (Ryan Gosling) is. Tension was already building as the 2024 Golden Globes host, Jo Koy downplayed Barbie’s genius by applauding Oppenheimer, and summarizing Barbie as: “on a plastic doll with big boobies!” The Oscars, as well as other award shows, have a history of being exclusionary towards women in film.

It was disheartening to see that Gerwig was nominated just for Best Adapted Screenplay over the Best Director category. She is an inspiration to young filmmakers around the world because of how she captures women’s stories in relatable and loving ways.

A fan of Gerwig’s wrote, “Just something about Greta makes me feel like being a female director is the most magical thing ever. We get to envision stories and watch people play pretend all day, what could possibly be better!? And, you know, change society, there’s that too.”  If you enjoyed Barbie, I would also recommend Lady Bird and Little Women, both directed masterfully by Gerwig.

Barbie is about women’s stories and struggles in a world that was built to underestimate them. While it is great that the film has nominations in other categories, it is disappointing to see that the women behind the film’s direction and image aren’t being appreciated for the major successes that they brought forth. Gosling agrees that “There is no Ken without Barbie, and there is no Barbie movie without Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie, the two people most responsible for this history-making, globally celebrated film.” 

but, there were wins too.

However, just because Gosling was nominated, this doesn’t mean that we should disregard the progress that was made when it comes to women’s Oscar nominations and successes in film this year. “Barbie was also nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay, Costume Design, and Production Design.Stephanie Chinn (artist) comments accurately that, “We can celebrate those who have been nominated (Ryan and America) AND still call-out the fact that the director of this important film did not receive a nomination and that historically, the academy leaves out so many woman directors.”

Outside of Barbie, Lily Gladstone was the first Native American to be nominated for an Oscar this year, and she was nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role for her performance in Killers of the Flower Moon! We should be celebrating and talking about these feats as well.

Barbie has positively impacted so many people’s lives since its release, and we can hope that some people’s perspectives were changed for the better. This award season does not diminish this impact, so let’s continue to uplift women in film and hope for continued success for movies like these.

barbie movie behind the scenes 0006?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Hello! My name is Ella Bailey and I am a Freshman at UCSB. My pronouns are she/her. I am an English major with an interest in the Arts and Culture. I love painting, visiting museums and coffee shops, and discussing music with my friends. This is my first year as a Her Campus editorial intern, and I am so excited to learn from and be surrounded by other writers and creatives!