Jordan D. Mitchell: Feminist and Music Maker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Music writer, activist, and wearer of robes, Jordan Mitchell recently dropped his album last week, “Faux Pas.”  With sixteen great original songs available for download for free on SoundCloud, Jordan’s album is definitely worth checking out.

Name: Jordan D. Mitchell

Hometown: Stockton

Year: Freshman

Major: CSS Music Composition and Minor in Feminist Studies

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/BlacklistComicsInc/

Album: https://soundcloud.com/jordan-d-mitchell/sets/faux-pas

How did you first get into writing music?

Eighth grade with my band instructor after listening to a few jazz orchestrations and hip hop songs.

Where do you get inspiration for your music from?

Kendrick Lamar, Joe Hisaishi, Immortal Technique, Cortex, Buena Vista Social Club, Rocio Ducal, Charles Mingus, Mariachi De Vargas.

What made you want to minor in Feminist Studies?

I am concerned for the equality of mankind, therefore intend to use the knowledge of my major and minor the analyze, critique, and fight against a racialized patriarchal society with my music.

What is Faux Pas?

It took me three years to finish and complete faux pas, three years in which I encountered police brutality, active absence from religion, racial profiling, gang affiliation, and the Faux Pas of “American Culture.” The transition to college allowed me to finish my material for a complete analysis of the intersectionality of the culture everyone in the United States are a part of, and the problem with this “Culture.” The album is efficient at being a voice of people of color, everything about this album is against the narrative of normative American culture. It is the tears, the laughter, the anger of my people and you will hear us.

What do you want to do after college?

Become a college professor in San Jose State, concerned with Ethnic Compositions of the Americas, music and cultural femininity and the analysis of hip-hop in urban culture.

What advice do you have for future music writers?

Learn, listen, and utilize music that you listen to, that you like. Your style is created from a pool of things that make you. Writing your own music is like developing your own dialect, it is created by various entities with which you involve yourself. 

Sally is a fourth year communication student at UCSB. Her favorite things to do include traveling, eating, and binge watching YouTube videos. In her ideal future, she is either a research professor or market analyst for a digital entertainment company and living in her hometown of LA with a hypoallergenic cat.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.