Jessica Park: The Girl in Charge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

UCSB Junior, Jessica Park, has exceeded all expectations by starting her own non-profit as well as establishing an organization new to UCSB. Her hard work and intelligence makes her admirable and lovable to her peers. This Global & International Studies major isn’t afraid of making mistakes and is unwilling to let her circumstances define who she is.

What groups are you involved with on campus?

I am mainly involved with three organizations on campus: KCM, Mock Trial, and LiNK.  I’m also very involved with keeping up with my non-profit outside of school.

Can you elaborate more on your non-profit?

My non-profit is called Freedom to Teach, and we provide tutoring services in Mathematics and English to elementary students at no cost. We also promote character-building skills by getting the students involved in a variety of community service projects in the area. I founded this club back in 2012 when I ended up taking a gap year from school upon graduating high school. Financial means was a difficult subject for my family, but I never let that hinder me from academically achieving.  In fact, during my gap year I took on three jobs to help support my family, so the year definitely did not go to waste. I wanted find a way to make sure other students were not hindered from this as well and hence, Freedom to Teach was born.  

What are your roles in the organizations that you are involved with?

KCM is a Christian campus ministry group where I’ve built a community of brothers and sisters, and I have been an active member since last year. Mock Trial is, what I like to say, “a group of people who love to argue professionally.” We have our first competition this Saturday at Fresno State so I’m really looking forward to my role as an expert witness in the trial. Lastly, LiNK is a group that my friend Terry and I are establishing at UCSB this coming winter quarter. We help to promote and rescue refugees from North Korea. We are going to be co-presidents for this group.   

Can you expand on the interview process of Mock Trial and how you keep your composure during competitions?

The interview process was a lot more selective than I expected. There were 60 new individuals who tried out, and the tryout also included old members. Of this amount, they have selected 20 people for the team. I love getting into character, so during my tryout where I was asked to prepare a part as an attorney and a part as a witness (a doctor), I came in a suit and changed into a doctor’s lab coat during the witness account.  Getting into character is also how I learned to maintain my composure because I essentially “became” that character.  

What do you like to do on your free time?

Any free time I get is when I hit the books. Keeping up with my studies is very important to me, as well as for the future law schools I intend to apply to. Otherwise, you’ll see me happily snoring on my bed or watching my currently favorite show, Blacklist.  

What is your favorite thing about UCSB?

My favorite thing about UCSB is the people I’ve met. I have a work hard, play hard mentality, and I’m glad to have found friends who encompass just that.  The beach and nice weather is also a great perk that I never forget to remind my east coast college friends about.  

Any final words to our Her Campus readers?

Never let your circumstances define you. Instead, let them create you. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, and always keep a smile on your face. Those three things tend to work for me so far in life.  

Where do you see yourself in 20 years?

In 20 years, I see myself working in a law firm (hopefully as partner) or if I’m really lucky I’ll be a county-elected judge. I would like to say I’d be living in the Los Angeles area, but I also wouldn’t mind living in other metropolis areas such as DC or New York.