Jammin’ During Dead Week: A Soundtrack for the Worst Week of the Quarter/Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s the beginning of dead week, you’re already cracked out on caffeine, and you’re holed up in a cubicle at the library. Your eyes are nearly bleeding from attempting to read ten weeks of material in one day, and your ears are craving some salvation. Luckily for you, Her Campus has the cure! Here’s that second wind that you so badly needed…unless you forgot your headphones at home on the 68 block, then, sorry, you’re out of luck. 

Take a Chill Pill: Do you find yourself hyperventilating without a brown paper bag to calm yourself? Practice some deep breathing and let Jack Johnson, Justin Nozuka, or Matt Costa put you at peace, then get back to your pile of notecards. 

Keep it Classic: Studies have shown that classical music provides great background music and “white noise” for studying. So indulge in this scientific discovery and allow Bach or Mozart to orchestrate your library struggle session and help you complete that study guide. 

Make it Epic: If you’ve waited until the absolute last minute to read a novel in its entirety (or just the SparkNotes, no judgment) try out the soundtracks from any of The Pirates of the Caribbean or The Chronicles of Narnia movies, and your excitement level is sure to rise! Unless you have to read Jane Austen, then I can’t help you there.

Rave On: You may not be in your handmade bedazzled bra, tutu, or decked out in plur bracelets, but you can still keep the energy up with EDM. My roomie frequently rocks out to Skrillex and Calvin Harris while studying for econ, so dream of EDC and calculate the night away!

Drown Out the Sound of Everyone Around You With Soothing, Instrumental Piano: Make a George Winston Pandora playlist and keep yourself from murdering the chatty girl sporting frat shorts in the cubicle next to you, and fall into a study trance. Trust me on this one, just trust me.

If You Really, Really, Really Wanna Zigga Zig Ah, or You Just Want to Take a Study Break: It’s simple science that dancing to Spice Girls with your friends for five minutes will release endorphins and help you ace all of your finals. In fact, you might get an A in a class you’re not even enrolled in! Save this one for at-home studying if you’re shy…or the 4th floor of Davidson, because we all know nothing truly studious is going on there.  If this simply isn’t enough, you can always add a Backstreet Boys song as well. Or Nsync. Or Britney. . . 

Kelsey Roshetko left the neon jungle of Las Vegas to attend college in Santa Barbara, where she majors in English with an emphasis in creative writing. She plans on applying to law school after graduation, and pursuing a career as a poet on the side (which probably will not be lucrative in any way whatsoever). She loves all things Sylvia Plath, Neutral Milk Hotel, her mom, and elephants. 
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus