Trying Every Guayaki Yerba Mate Flavor so You Don’t Have to

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Guayaki Yerba Mate: an Isla Vista staple, and a go-to study drink for late nights at the library. I decided to try every canned flavor, and give you the rundown on the best and worst of the bunch. You can find my definitive ranked list at the end.

Revel Berry

Caffeine Ranking: Mighty (~150 mg)

Revel Berry will always have a special place in my heart, since it served as my introduction to yerba mate. Blackberry, hibiscus, raspberry, and yumberry combine to form an experience similar to that of raspberry iced tea. Since berry-based flavors are familiar to almost anyone, I’d recommend Revel Berry to first-time yerba enjoyers.

bluephoria

Caffeine Ranking: Mighty

For lack of better terms, Bluephoria tastes like Revel Berry…but blue. Elderberry and blueberry replace the blackberry and raspberry of Revel Berry to bring a tartness to the drink. This wouldn’t necessarily be one of my first choices, but more likely due to the presence of better flavors and not because it’s inherently bad.

Enlighten Mint

Caffeine Ranking: Mighty

My boyfriend swears by this flavor, but I’m not convinced. If it’s the last in stock and I’m desperate, I’ll buy it- but I’m not reaching for it otherwise. But, if anyone says it tastes like toothpaste, they probably don’t brush their teeth and shouldn’t be trusted as a reliable taste-tester. 

Tropical Uprising

Caffeine Ranking: Mighty

Let me put it this way: I couldn’t even finish the can. Hibiscus, mango, pineapple, guava, and apricot combine in the worst way possible to produce Guayaki’s 25th anniversary flavor: Tropical Uprising. There are only two flavors on this list that I would adamantly tell people to avoid, and this is one of them.

Orange Exuberance

Caffeine Ranking: Mighty

I couldn’t believe people actually enjoyed this flavor, until I tried it for myself. It tastes like Sunny D mixed with iced tea, which sounds strange but somehow works. If you’re a big fan of orange juice, this is right up your alley. 

Lemon Elation

Caffeine Ranking: Mighty

If Revel Berry and Bluephoria are brothers, Orange Exuberance and Lemon Elation are sisters. They share a citrus background, with Lemon Elation tasting like a classic lemon iced tea. 

Sparkling Cranberry Pomegranate

Caffeine Ranking: Lifted (~80 mg)

I’m a sucker for anything and everything cranberry so it’s no surprise that this is my ultimate favorite flavor. If it has one weakness, it’s the lower caffeine content than some of the others. 

Sparkling Classic Gold

Caffeine Ranking: Glowing (~120 mg)

I had no idea what flavor palette I was walking into when it came to the name of this drink. What is Classic Gold? A mix of spice, prune, lime, tamarind, and ginger, apparently. I was pleasantly surprised by this flavor, and I’d recommend it to a ginger ale enthusiast. It’s also the sparkling yerba with the most caffeine!

Sparkling Grapefruit Ginger

Caffeine Ranking: Lifted

As someone who typically avoids ginger, I thought it complimented the grapefruit surprisingly well. It tastes very similar to Squirt, the classic grapefruit soda. This flavor is my roommate’s personal favorite!

Sparkling Blackberry Mint

Caffeine Ranking: Lifted

This is one of two flavors specifically advertised as low calorie and low sugar. If you’re in the market for a virgin White Claw (a.k.a. sparkling water), this is the drink for you. I have a massive sweet tooth, so this flavor is not cutting it for me.

Sparkling Lima Limon

Caffeine Ranking: Lifted

The second of the two low calorie flavors, this one actually has no sugar at all. I am not the target audience for this drink, but a sparkling water admirer might enjoy this flavor. This is the second of the two flavors that I actively avoid. Perhaps Guayaki wanted to show La Croix that they have competition? 

Katelynn’s Official Flavor Ranking (from best to worst): Sparkling Cranberry Pomegranate, Revel Berry, Sparkling Classic Gold, Orange Exuberance, Bluephoria, Lemon Elation, Sparkling Grapefruit Ginger, Enlighten Mint, Sparkling Blackberry Mint, Tropical Uprising, and finally, Sparkling Lima Limon.

Katelynn is a third-year Political Science major with a mild cheese obsession who is constantly on the search for the best chicken sandwich.