alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Listened to Taylor Swift’s New Album and Have Thoughts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

All of this is complete speculation, just me using my English major brain to react and figure out what the hell these songs are about.  So fill up your wine glasses and let’s go on this journey together.   

Image via Giphy

…Ready For It

• I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve been bopping to this song for weeks.

• “ Some boys are tryin’ too hard, he don’t try at all though / Younger than my exes but he act like such a man though” – Wow, Taylor, wow!!! Implying that your exes all act like children? Just ruin them why don’t you?

• I’ll let you guys know when I’m no longer bopping to this album, but I have a feeling it won’t be anytime soon.

Image via Giphy

End Game (feat. Future and Ed Sheeran)

• “Ft Ed Sheeran” – Why would she do this to my Sweeran heart??!!

• At first I had my doubts about rapping Taylor, but it’s really growing on me.

• “I wanna be your A-Team (A-Team)” – References Ed’s song from his first album.

• “Reputation precedes me, they told you I’m crazy / I swear I don’t love the drama, it loves me.”  – Me every time the word ‘reputation’ comes up:

Image via Giphy

• Still bopping.

Image Via Giphy

I Did Something Bad

• “If a man talks shit then owe him nothing / I don’t regret it one bit, ‘cause he had it coming” – YAAAASSSSSSSS Taylor! On another note, has anyone checked on Calvin Harris ‘cause he might be dead.  

• I am all for this unapologetic Taylor. Like I honestly wanna get drunk with her.

• I’m LIVING for this beat.

Image Via Giphy

• So I fly ’em all around the world / And I let them think they saved me”, “He says, ‘Don’t throw away a good thing’ / But if he drops my name, then I owe him nothin’” – Just @ Tom Hiddleston next time Taylor. (While they were dating they were seen everywhere together from Australia where Tom was filming a movie, to England where Taylor met Tom’s mom. They allegedly broke up because Tom wanted to be more ‘media official’ about their relationship than Taylor was comfortable with.)

• “They’re burning all the witches, even if you aren’t one / They got their pitchforks and proof, their receipts and reasons / They’re burning all the witches, even if you aren’t one / So light me up – Me:

Image Via Giphy

Don’t Blame Me

• “Don’t blame me love made me crazy / If it doesn’t you ain’t doing it right.” – THAT HOOK THO!!!

Image Via Giphy

• This song makes me want to go to church.

• For real though, I will go to whatever church will play this song during service.

• This is Taylor meets Hoizer meets gospel choir and I don’t know how I ever lived without it.

Image via Giphy

Delicate

• I’m living for these breathy/ echoey vocals.

• “My reputation’s never been worse, so / You must like me for me… / Yeah, I want you / We can’t make / Any promises now, can we, babe? / But you can make me a drink” – Probably about the beginning of her relationship with her alleged current boo Joe Alwyn that happened at the same time as the media mudslinging she received a year or so ago. It’s so sad that all the thing the media and her haters said about her made her feel this unsure of herself.

• This one’s like a really mellow “Style” vibes.

• “Is it too soon to do this yet?” – Sex Taylor?

• “Is it cool that I said all that? / Is it chill that you’re in my head? / ‘Cause I know that it’s delicate (delicate) / Is it cool that I said all that? / Is it too soon to do this yet? / ‘Cause I know that it’s delicate”  This part of the song also reminds me of “Enchanted” with all its hesitant and insecure questions. Again so sad to think about the headspace she was in when she wrote this.   

Image via Giphy

Look What You Made Me Do

• Our first look at how angry Taylor was.

• I remember hearing this song for the first time and needing to listen to it for a few times before liking.

• This whole song is about her beef with Kim and Kanye and I’m LOVING IT.

• You asked me for a place to sleep / Locked me out and threw a feast (what?)” – After Kanye apologized for his drunken rant during the Taylor’s 2009 VMA speech, they shared a few years of quiet peace and they seemed like they were in a good place. Fast forward to 2016 and the release of Kanye’s song “Famous” and the beef starts all over again. All of which probably came out of nowhere for Taylor which would explain the shocked  “(what)” at the end of the line.  

• Only Taylor could conceal such a layered rant under a great bop.

Image via Giphy

So it Goes

• “I’m not a bad girl / But I’d do bad things with you.” “Come here, dressed in black now/ So, so, so it goes / Scratches down your back now”

Image via Giphy

Gorgeous

• “You’re so gorgeous / I can’t say anything to your face / ‘Cause look at your face.” – Relatable AF and probably why I’m still single tbh.

• “Guess I just stumble on home to my cats.” Same, Taylor. I don’t have cats but same.

• Me the whole time I’m listening to this song:

Image Via Giphy

Getaway Car

• “It was the best of times, the worst of crimes” – A DICKENS ALLUSION!!!

Image Via Giphy

• “I wanted to leave him / I needed a reason.” – Totally about the whole Calvin/Taylor/Tom Hiddleston debacle.

• I can totally see myself driving down the freeway just listening to this song.

• Pretty sure this is Taylor acknowledging that her relationship with Tom was a rebound, was just her way of getting out of her relationship with Calvin. Was it wrong? Yes. Does she regret it? No.

• “Us traitors never win” – Taylor is finally showing us her flaws.

Image Via Giphy

King of My Heart

• “We ruled the kingdom inside my room” – Adult Taylor is coming out in full force. And I’m all for it

• “’Cause all the boys and their expensive cars / With their Range Rovers and their Jaguars / Never took me quite where you do” – *Side eyes Calvin and Tom*

• Adding Tom Hiddleston to our watch list.

• “And all at once, you are the one I have been waiting for / King of my heart, body and soul”, “Is the end of all the endings? / My broken bones are mending / With all these nights we’re spending” – This whole song is basically an ode to her new boyfriend and their love and I just can’t with the adorableness of it all.

Image Via Giphy  

Dancing With Our Hands Tied

• “I, I loved you in spite of / Deep fears that the world would divide us” – Another mention of the way in which she was scared that the media’s portrayal of her would scare away another chance at love. And… I … just… CAN’T.  

Image via Giphy

• “I’d kiss you as the lights went out/ Swaying as the room burned down / I’d hold you as the water rushes in / If I could dance with you again / I’d kiss you as the lights went out / Swaying as the room burned down / I’d hold you as the water rushes in / If I could dance with you again” – What I love about this song is that this isn’t a normal Taylor Swift song, full of metaphors and other things we need to decode in order to get to its true meaning. She’s not only telling us that she loves Joe Alwyn, she made sure we can’t even question it. And I’m weirdly happy for this woman that I’ve never met (but I desperately want to).   

Dress

• “Only bought this dress so you could take it off.

Image Via Giphy

• ‘Nuff said.

This Is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things

• “Feeling so Gatsby for that whole year” – Not one but two literature references? My English major heart is rejoicing!

• “And here’s to you / ‘Cause forgiveness is a nice thing to do / [Loud AF Cackle] I can’t even say it with a straight face” – I DIED LAUGHING.

Image via Giphy

• “It was so nice being friends again / There I was, giving you a second chance / But then you stabbed in the back while shaking my hand / And therein lies the issue / Friends don’t try to trick you” –  Taylor’s going through her reasons for being angry like it’s my English paper that’s due Tuesday.  

• “Friends don’t try to trick you / Get you on the phone and mind-twist you / And so I took an axe to a mended fence” – She is coming for Kanye during this whole effing song!

• Taylor to Kanye:

Image via Giphy

Call It What You Want

• “I want to wear his initial on a chain round my neck / Chain round my neck / Not because  he owns me / But ’cause he really knows me” – Basically ‘I’m an independent woman who don’t need no man but will wear his initial around my neck because I love him.’

• Taylor is just so in love guys, that I honestly just can’t.

Image Via Giphy

New Year’s Day

• This song is officially The Softest™.   

• This song proves that the Old Taylor isn’t dead, she just been through some shit.

• “Please don’t ever become a stranger whose laugh I could recognize everywhere.”

Image Via Giphy 

• This song is basically ‘If you can’t handle me on my New Year’s Day, you don’t get my midnight kisses’. Which is honestly one of the best analogies for love I’ve ever heard.

God, I love this album! It’s raw and beautiful and heartfelt and now I’m just gushing! Is it weird to be proud of someone you don’t know? You know what, I don’t care; I’m proud of you Taylor!

Image Via Giphy 

When SoCal native Lucely Chavez isn't up to her ears in words, she's continuing her mission to find the best coffee ice cream in the world (McConnell's Ice Cream is the current #1). She's currently in her 4th year at UC Santa Barbara where she is majoring in English and minoring in Professional Writing. 
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)