This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

‘Tis the season to be… crusty?

We all love the winter season. We’ve been waiting a whole year for freshly baked gingerbread cookies, the arrival of our favorite Christmas candles at Bath and Body Works, those delicious seasonal Christmas drinks at Starbucks, and bundling up in cute sweaters, scarves, and knee-high boots. But our skin gets so much drier and irritated with this cold weather! Bundling up doesn’t just apply to our clothing—bundle up your skincare as well! Here are some tips to keep your skin feeling and looking amazing.

1. No hot showers!

The hot water on our skin feels amazing after a long day out in the cold. But the hot water rids your skin of all its natural oils that work to keep it hydrated, leaving you feeling like the Sahara Desert once you turn the water off. Take a short, lukewarm shower, then moisturize and stay warm in those fluffy pajamas you love. While you’re at it, make yourself a hot cocoa with some marshmallows in it (because you deserve it.)

Image​ via Entertainment Tonight

2. Invest in a humidifier

Since the winter season has less humidity in the air, it’s really important to keep our skin as hydrated as possible. A humidifier is a really easy way to put some moisture back in your skin without having to add anything else into your daily skincare routine. You can literally watch your favorite shows while your skin drinks up that moisture.

Image via Healthline 

3. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!

Moisturize, and moisturize often. It might feel like you’re overdoing it, but it’s very important to stay extra moisturized during this cold season. I recommend using gentle moisturizers on your skin (with light or no fragrance at all). Your skin will thank you later!

Image via Reader’s Digest

4. Additional skincare steps

Although there are endless things you could put on your skin, these are just a few easy (and cheap) things you could add to your routine. Firstly, incorporating products with green tea infused in them is really good for your skin. Green tea is full of Vitamins B2 and E, which are major skin hydrators. I recommend the Green Tea Seed Serum by Innisfree. Apply it after you wash your face and you’re good to go!

Image via Innisfree

Also, products with hyaluronic acid help your skin hold in a lot more moisture. Even better, it helps get rid of wrinkles and gives you smoother skin to the touch. An easy way to get some of those nutrients into your routine is through a facemask! Take 15 minutes out of your day to unwind, put on a facemask and watch your favorite Christmas movie. You can even have a girl’s night in, play a game of Monopoly, and hydrate your skin with friends!

Image via LittleMissFii

Our skin deserves to be pampered as much as we do. The best part of winter is that every day can be a spa day!

Chloe is a second year Communication major who's loving her time at UCSB. When she's not studying, you can find her binge watching shows, eating hot pot or hanging out with friends in IV with a Blenders cup in her hands. Keep up with her on her Instagram page: @chloechoww
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.