How to Save Time in the Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Let’s be honest ladies. Waking up in the morning is tough, especially if you are not a morning person like me. Ever since my first quarter here at UCSB, I have had at least one 8 AM. This is not to say I sleep the earliest either. Because of this, I have learned a few tips and tricks to maximize the amount of time I can sleep in and still make it to class on time in the morning without giving up every step I need to feel my best for the day. 

Plan your outfits the night before. 

I have been using this trick since middle school. Everyone in middle school wanted to look their best. Because of this, I was spending way too long in the morning trying to find the perfect outfit for the day, so I started planning my outifts the night before. Although I do not dress to impress others anymore, I still try to look presentable because my motto is by looking good, you feel good, too.

Overnight oats are your best friend.

My mother has taught me ever since I was young that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If I did not eat breakfast in the morning, it will affect my mood and energy for the rest of the day. One tip that I love is making overnight oats. All you need is some milk (or almond or soy milk if you are lactose intolerant) and some rolled oats. You can even add your favorite fruits, berries, nuts, or granola to add more flavor and texture to your overnight oats. If you don’t have any toppings, you can just add brown sugar or honey for a kick of sweetness and you are good to go. Pro-tip: Pack your overnight oats in a mason jar or any plastic container so you can eat your breakfast on the go!

Meal Prep on Sunday.

Buying lunch everyday gets really expensive, so making my lunch at home has really saved my bank account. Another way to save time in the morning is instead of making your lunch in the morning, you can make an abundance of food on Sunday, pack them up in plastic microwavable containers, and place them in the fridge. Before you leave for classor work in the morning, just grab your lunch and you are ready to go. 

Make your coffee or tea while you get ready.

Like many of you, I also need my morning coffee to get my day started. Buying coffee every morning adds up. Because of this, I started making my own coffee at home. The smell of coffee that surrounds my room when I turn on the coffee machine every morning is so comforting, but the process of making coffee and waiting for it to cool takes a while. Another way to save time in the morning, is to make your coffee or tea while you get ready. Every morning, right when I get up from bed, I go straight to my Keurig and press the on button before I go to brush my teeth and wash my face. Every minute counts!

Pack your bag the night before.

In elementary school, my mother make sure my sisters and I had backed our bags and left it by the door every single night. She didn’t want us to forget anything when packing our bags the morning of because we were rushed. Because of this I always pack my bag the night before now. I make it a habit to make sure my wallet, keys, and books for the day are in my backpack or purse before I go to bed. The last thing you want to do is run around your house, looking for your keys, and feeling rushed in the morning.

Hi! I'm Carmen. I'm a second year Pre-Econ and Accounting Major at UCSB. My hobbies include watching TV, hitting the gym, traveling, hiking, and exploring for new restaurants!
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.