How to Save Money after the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Now that the holidays have come to an end, we are left in disbelief at the amount of money we spent on presents for our loved ones (and ourselves)! But let’s face it, the Naked Pallete 3 was so worth that 60 bucks and leaving the VS semi-annual sale with tons of shopping bags made us feel better. However, it is a fresh start and this new year calls for saving money to avoid being broke early January.

Here’s 8 tips that will help you save cash:

1. Keep a spending diary for the next few months

It may feel like it’s such a hassle, but it’s an easy and efficient way to calculate your spendings! Write down every little thing you’ve bought, including groceries or necessities. It will definitely keep you on track!

2. Avoid eating out at a restaurant/ fast food

Instead of going out for some In-n-Out, stay in and make yourself a home-cooked meal! You’ll be surprised at how much money you’ll end up saving.

3. Only buy what you need

Think twice: Do you really need to go on a Forever 21 and H&M shopping spree?!

4. Skip your morning Starbucks

190 calories and spending $3 everyday is so not worth it! You can still make your homemade coffee which will end up tasting just as fresh!

5.  Ditch the gym membership

Paying $50 a month for only going twice a week and staying on the treadmill? Save money by dedicating yourself to an intense at home workout.

6. Save all your coupons

You’ll be amazed at how much you’ll save if you use all the coupons you receive in the mail or by use discount codes sent to your e-mail. Just make sure to check for expiration dates!

7. Shop smart

Most stores offer tons of discounts at the end of a holiday season, so take advantage!

8. Plan a slumber party instead of a GNO

We already know how expensive it is to have a night out with the girls, especially if it includes eating at a fancy restaurant and having drinks after. Instead, plan a fun slumber party where everyone pitches in for cheap food!

Fashion, writing, and dogs are my passions. I'm a Communications major, hoping to work for fashion PR someday. Oh, and I'm totally in love with Zac Efron!
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.