This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

After a rejection email from the communication department, I spent three months in bed, unable to do anything but binge-watch Gilmore Girls. Growing up, my sisters and I watched it weekly, and it became a comfort show during college. The episodes that resonated with me the most were when Rory takes time off from Yale after Mitchum, a newspaper conglomerate CEO, tells her she does not have it. Mitchum thought Rory made a great assistant but did not have the skills to be a successful journalist. 

While I did not have a handsome boyfriend steal a yacht with or the luxury to take a year off, I felt lost as Rory did. The email was not the first rejection email I have ever received, but it was the first to make me question my self-worth. The email opened the door to a collection of failures and rejections. 

I was not ready to face reality and decided to wallow in my sadness. I thought giving myself time to sit with my feelings will result in eventually feeling better. Instead, I started to withdraw from social activities, and when I was around friends, I was not acting like myself. Everything irritated me, and I would get upset over the smallest things. I was tired of feeling miserable and sorry for myself. 

sad and alone girl breakup
Photo by _Mxsh_ from Unsplash

So I decided to look into ways to cope with my thoughts and emotions. I attempted to go to therapy, but I would not be able to get an appointment for three months. I wanted to take action and start making steps towards healing. I did about everything that cute little Instagram and Pinterest self-help doodles said to do. I invested in exercise equipment, new clothes that made me feel pretty, journaled, and bought a plant. 

Of course, I was not over my rejection in one night. My plant died within a week, and the journal only had three entries, but my new jeans made me feel invincible whenever I wore them. My extra efforts towards taking care of myself were important because I allowed myself to prioritize my mental health. I acknowledged that I was falling into a sadness that I needed to overcome. By giving myself the time, I was saying that my failure did not determine my self-worth. 

silhouette of person jumping during dawn
Austin Schmid/Unsplash

Find the small things in life that make you happy and continue to do them as an act of self-care. Jess visits Rory and reminds her that dwelling on her failure and quitting her dream is not her. Talking to Jess was a critical part of her going back to Yale and continuing to work toward her dream. Let this be a reminder that your failures do not determine your self-worth. 

Brenda is a fourth-year majoring in feminist studies and sociology and minoring in the professional writing program. She was born and raised in South Central, Los Angeles. If she is not studying or writing she is probably watching a romantic comedy.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus