Life > Experiences

How To Find Alone Time When Living With Your Closest Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Some days living with your friends can seem like an extended slumber party, fulfilling the dreams of your childhood. They are always there for life advice, deciding what to wear, or just to complain about how that one professor always gets on your nerves. Other days though you just need time to yourself, and their well-intended question of your plans for the day can seem like annoying prying. So what do you do when you find yourself in that situation?

Image via Giphy

Being able to find time for yourself is crucial for both your relationships with others as well as for yourself. Finding this time for yourself can be difficult, but it’s important to work towards being comfortable by yourself, especially if being constantly surrounded by those you are close with is affecting you negatively.

An easy way to start finding some alone time is taking a walk. This can be at any point of the day; giving yourself time to take a walk alone gives you a chance to get some fresh air and be alone with your thoughts. You don’t need to have a destination in mind, just take the time to walk where you wish and get away from the pressure of other people. There’s a reason people tell others to take a walk when they’re upset, and taking that common advice could prove helpful in granting you the space you need to be alone.

Image via Giphy

If you’re able to, eating a meal alone can be a good act to take that time for yourself. Whether you eat in your room, dining hall, or restaurant, the act of eating alone can be rejuvenating. It can also simply be a meal alone; you really get out what you put into the experience. This practice is a good one to try and do when you can.

Studying by yourself, while not as fun, can be a good time to focus on accomplishing what you need to get done. It’s a two for one type of situation where you’re both productive and solitaire allowing you to do what you need to do.

It may be untraditional, but really cherishing your shower times could be helpful in getting that alone time. It’s been said by some that one does their best thinking in the shower, so taking the time to really make the most of that alone time could be more beneficial to you than just having it as an opportunity to get clean. Investing in a nice product or two to really make it an enjoyable relaxing experience can add to that experience of being alone with yourself.

Image via Giphy

Worst case scenario though, if you for some reason can’t get your friends out of your hair or yourself out of your place, plug in some headphones and make a space for yourself where you are. Working to be able to sit and focus on yourself despite being surrounded by others is a skill that takes time to develop, but if achieved can be very helpful when you need that time to be alone with yourself.

Overall, while living with your close friends is an amazing experience, it can be exhausting. That’s why it’s necessary to take time for yourself when you can and however you can.

Teannae is a second-year political science and environmental studies double from San Diego, California. When she is not trying to figure out how to make her big break into politics you can find her jamming out to her Spotify weekly playlist, drinking overpriced coffee, or responding to long-overdue emails.