How to Deal with Difficult Roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Most of us knows what it feels like, or can relate to, having a rather difficult roommate. Maybe they leave dirty dishes piled up in the sink for days, or they never clean the bathroom, or they leave a mess for you to clean up whenever they cook, etc.

Image via Giphy.com

Whatever the issue may be, here are some tips on how to handle aggravating roommates without making the living situation even worse:

1. If there’s a problem, say it right away

This is true for most situations, but it is especially important when you’re living with roommates who most likely have a different lifestyle than yours. If there’s an issue, address it as soon as possible. If you wait too long to tell your roommate that something they are doing is really bothering you, they’ll only just continue to do it and that’ll lead you to become increasingly resentful towards them which might lead to even more problems and an unbearable living situation. Even if the problem seems silly because it’s something you assume they should know to do or not to do (for example, washing dishes, taking out the trash when it’s full, or clearing up food after they’ve finished eating), point it out to them anyway. There will never be change unless you do something about it. Talk to them and see if they are willing to come to some agreement about whatever the issue may be.

2. Confront them politely

It’s better to be polite and respectful when addressing your roommate(s) about what’s bothering you rather than angrily. You don’t want to start any dramatic conflict; that’ll only make things worse and cause more tension. Try not to sound accusing or judgmental and try to avoid using harsh words or language. Approaching them in this way will probably only make your roommate defensive and perhaps upset rather than receptive and willing to work on the situation.

3. Give yourself some space from them

Having a roommate can be great because you always have someone to talk to and laugh with; but when you’re sharing such a small space with the same person for an entire school year, it’s not long before you start to get sick of being around them all time, especially if the living situation isn’t exactly perfect. Make plans with other people and hang out with other friends, this will help ease up any tension you may have.

4. Finally, know when enough is enough

If you’ve done all things possible, but your roommate is just not cooperative at all, maybe it’s time to seek out other assistance. If you live on campus or in the university apartments, go to your RA. They are prepared to handle difficult roommate situations and may have more experience with roommate drama. If you live elsewhere in IV, maybe it’s time to talk to your roommate(s) about moving out if they aren’t willing to work with you on the issues at hand

Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)