This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

If you love staying on top of your style game, but your college budget is limiting, we get it. The struggle is real. Thrifting is a price-conscious alternative and should maybe become your new hobby!

It’s easy to overlook thrift stores as a place to find the latest trends; however, with the right plan of attack, you may find some sweet basics and unique vintage gems to add to your closet without spending your rent. The vast amount of clothing and accessories in thrift stores can be quite intimidating upon entrance. Hopefully, our tips will help you navigate the racks and help tailor your perfect thrifting experience!

a girl looking through a rack of clothing
Photo by Becca McHaffie on Unsplash

Tip #1:

First, make a mental note about what types of pieces you’re looking to add to your closet. Are you looking for basics, like an oversized white tee or cozy gray sweatpants? Or are you looking to spend a little time hunting for a unique statement piece to spice up your closet? Either way, you’ll want to keep that in mind while exploring, so you don’t get lost in the abyss of options. Keep your eye on the prize, ladies. 

Tip #2:

One way to navigate seamlessly through a thrift store is to keep in mind what colors of items you prefer and complement your coloring. This will allow you to stay focused and not allow the large quantity of clothes to become daunting. If you’re hunting for a few gems, look at the different textures and prints as you walk by. Take your time looking through pieces, and if something stands out, be sure to give it a look, even if it’s not on your list. Sometimes the best finds are the treasures you weren’t even looking for. 

Pro Tip: Remember, everyone can wear any color, just find the complementary tone for your skin!

Tip #3:

My favorite section in a thrift store is the accessories corner! Adding accessories is an easy, fun way to amp up any outfit while adding some personal flare. Do not sleep on the used backpacks, purses, jewelry, sunglasses, and scarves. It’s incredible how much you can find- for a fraction of the cost of retail!

Tip #4:

Keep in mind that you can always alter thrift clothes to your liking, especially since they’re so inexpensive. Try cropping t-shirts, long skirts, or pants if you’re daring enough. You can even bedazzle or paint on plain items to make them extra personalized. Remember: If you make a mistake, it won’t break your bank!

Tip #5:

Last, but not least. Don’t be too judgy! Lots of times, the hanger does not do the piece justice. Trying on items is key to finding clothes that fit right, feel good, and look amazing. I can’t tell you how many times I showed my friends a piece that they automatically shut down, but once I tried it on, I fell in love with it, and they did too!

You now have the tools to help begin your thrifting journey. Your closet and your look will be revamped in no time. One must not forget: What is one’s (wo)man’s trash is another (wo)man’s treasure. 

Nicole Wakeland, or Nikki, is a current 3rd year at the University of California, Santa Barbara who is pursing a major in Communications and a minor in Professional Writing. She is a writer for the Daily Nexus' On the Menu section, as well. Nikki is a painter, sushi lover, and wannabe coffee connoisseur who also loves picnics and walks on the beach.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus