How to Add More Zen to Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

The quarter may have just started, but for many of us collegiates, the pressure of balancing books and boys may be already overwhelming. It’s undeniable that the distractions of Isla Vista create unnecessary stress, which makes it even more necessary to take a step away from the frat house and stroll into a more peaceful, Zen life without the worries of classwork or Isla Vista on your mind. It is important to step away from the stress of all the little things and create a healthier you along the way. With a Zen life, your mind is free to enjoy the simple pleasures we oftentimes overlook.

Here are 10 easy ways to add more Zen to your life:

1. Focus on one thing at a time
It’s easy to get overwhelmed when we are trying to juggle a lot of tasks at once. Focus on one task before moving on to another to avoid becoming overwhelmed and concentrate your full effort on each task.

2. Don’t worry about petty things; will this matter a year from now?
Before getting upset about the barista messing up your coffee or a tiff with your friend, ask yourself “Is this really going to matter a year from now?” If not, move on and don’t waste your energy on it. If so, find a solution and move on.

3. Drink tea – a lot of it!
Tea is proven to reduce cortisol (a stress hormone) and aids in relaxing the mind, body, and soul. Drink up and enjoy one of nature’s best remedies.

4. Practice simplicity by getting rid of unwanted clutter
When you have a clean environment, you have a clean mind. By simplifying your possessions and getting rid of unnecessary clutter in your room, you can live a simpler life. Your mind often follows your surroundings.

5. Turn off your cellphone and step away from your gadgets
We all enjoy an occasional triple chin Snapchat, but sometimes it is necessary to turn off our phone and stop pretending to text on our phones when we feel awkward.  Liberate yourself and enjoy your environment without an iPhone in hand.

6. Eat a healthy and natural diet
When you eat healthy food you feel fit and rejuvenated. Avoid foods that will make you feel sluggish and unproductive. Treat your body with kindness by eating healthy and delicious foods that come from natural and whole ingredients that help your physical and spiritual health.

7. Travel
Expand your boundaries past Sweet Alley and step away from IV to get some peace. Whether it is for the afternoon, day, or weekend, remind yourself that not everything revolves around late nights at Freebirds. Visit the farmer’s market, go home for a weekend, or explore sunny Santa Barbara.

8. Get in touch with nature
Add more Zen to your life by taking advantage of the beautiful nature that surrounds us. Leave your studying for a few hours to take a walk on the beach or go on a hike. Surrounding ourselves with nature relaxes us and helps us see beyond the small problems in our lives.

9. Practice being at peace by yourself
It’s great to have a group of friends to count on, but being able to do things by yourself and be with your own thoughts can bring serenity to your life. Grab some coffee and read a book by yourself without the distractions of your friends. Becoming independent is a key to adding a sense of Zen into your life.

10. Smile more
Positive energy reflects positive energy! Focus on the positive aspects of situations and don’t take everything so seriously. Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a matter of traveling.

Maya is currently a third year Communications major at UCSB and a San Francisco native. As an previous editorial intern for HC and current Campus Correspondent, Maya loves to write about her NOMtastic food endeavors and the laid back fashion and style of California. With an interest in magazine editorial writing and public relations, Maya plans to pursue these fields as she continues to add a little more spice to every Collegiate’s life!
Phoebe is a senior at the University of California, Santa Barbara, majoring in Film and Media Studies. She is from San Diego, CA and loves spending time hiking and walking her dog on the beach. At UCSB, Phoebe is involved with her sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and loves to take study breaks by baking and watching reality TV. However, she is truly passionate about cats and Nutella (not together of course). After graduation, Phoebe plans to travel abroad in Europe and pursue a career in Public Relations.