Hey You, Do Things!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

There is no other way to say this: I’ve met far too many people who have absolutely no hobbies. You know, something you like to do when everyone else is doing what they like to do? For example, I like knitting, reading unpopular books, and running on the beach. My roommate likes to cook and make necklaces out of random things she finds on the ground. If nothing (or Netflix) comes to mind, maybe this list is for you! Not knowing how to do something is no excuse–if that one worked, we would all still be crawling, breastfeeding and wearing diapers.

• Playing an instrument: An angry old Russian woman named Vera taught me piano, but I taught myself violin on a week long camping trip. My dad described the sound as “like scraping together dead cat skeletons” but everyone has to start somewhere. Find tutorials on YouTube!
  • Upcycling/restoration: Hunt around in thrift stores for clothing or furniture with potential (potential means a state of mild deterioration), take it home and fix it up into something new! This can range from crafts to carpentry, and if you have no use for what you make, sell it on Etsy!
  • Guerrilla Gardening: What the blazes is that? You must be wondering aloud. Well, the same way you may ambush an opposing military, try planting something in a public place and secretly tending to it until people notice, then pass its caretaking on to someone if you move out of town. Or, more friendly and legal, start community garden! Live your life creating life #live
  • Painting: You can’t say you aren’t “good” at this one, because everyone has a different style. It can be abstract, modern, realism, whatever; it’s fun to just put color where no color was before.
  • Blogging: Do you have thoughts? Write them down. Even if no one reads them, your writing will improve and I’ve heard that’s a marketable skill. Try Tumblr, Blogger, or WordPress.
  • Filmmaking: Find a cheap video camera on Amazon, and some highly recommended FREE editing sofware includes iMovie (for Mac users) and Windows Movie Maker (Windows). You could be the next Youtube sensation, or create a tearjerking family film for next year’s winter break.
  • Photography: I don’t mean just taking iPhone pictures of flowers, blurring the background and applying a filter; this is an art that can be learned either through classes, websites, or better yet, a real live mentor, and you can rent decent cameras here in Santa Barbara if you don’t want to invest in your own!
  • Web designing or programming: These are different but related; they are both challenging yet satisfying and great resume-boosters. Find a class online or on campus and if you become any good at this, make some bank here!
  • Exercising: This does not mean lie on the floor and do a sit-up to grab a Dorito. You can hike,run, cycle, yoga, rollerblade, learn tennis or dance–ANYTHING. Moving is fun and a great stress-reliever. UCSB has seventeen different intramural teams, and you can also check out ES classes…or just wing it, you’ll still have a blast.
  • Pottery: Something about spinning a lopsided bowl on a wheel makes your troubles seem distant and irrelevant. Your homemade objects also make great gifts! UCSB offers a leisure review pottery class each quarter.
  • Home-brewing: So you like alcohol, huh? Why don’t you try making it yourself? it’s relatively inexpensive, does the job, and is potentially lucrative! Check out How to Brew by John Palmer.
  • Geocaching: This is a fancy term for treasure-hunting, all around the world! Join the movement here

This is by no means an exhaustive list–these are just some activities to get you thinking about what strikes your own personal fancy. This way, you will be excited for free time because it will mean a retreat to your favorite pastime. Now, I must stop writing this article–I have some yarn calling my name.

Rachel is a senior at UC Santa Barbara and studies Communication and Global Peace and Security. Rachel is from a small, beautiful town in southern California called Palos Verdes. However, Palos Verdes is just one of the many places Rachel has lived. Rachel spent her childhood moving and traveling all over the world, living in places such as Indianapolis, Indiana; Santiago, Chile; Vienna, Austria; and Orlando, Florida. Rachel has found her heart and her home in California, choosing to spend her college years in sunny Santa Barbara. However, Rachel continued her wanderlust when she studied abroad in Barcelona, Spain in Fall 2012. At UCSB, Rachel is an immensely dedicated and involved member of her sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma, where she held the positions of Panhellenic Delegate, Inter-Greek Counselor, Rho Gam, and a member of the Nominating Slate. Best Buddies, a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, is a passion of Rachel's, as she is their Social Media Coordinator as well as an active and proud member. As a member of the Lambda Pi Eta Communication Honors Society, Rachel is able to implement her prowess and affinity for communication and communication-related issues. When Rachel is not writing, participating in Kappa events, or volunteering, you can find her in the gym, on the soccer field, watching Modern Family, or cooking. Rachel's love for sports, food, and writing often times go hand-in-hand, as one may see in her weekly blogs. For the past two summers, Rachel has been freelance writing for the Los Angeles Times, and hopes to continue her career pursuit of journalism after she graduates. Rachel is elated to be a part of Her Campus's fabulous team and loves every moment of it!