Her Campus UCSB’s Blog: How About Those New Years Resolutions?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s the 1st of February. The first month of the year has officially passed, and the clock struck midnight—marking the start of 2012—a full month ago. What were you doing 31 days ago. We were celebrating New Years Eve. And tonight, we are dwelling on our New Year’s resolutions—have we fulfilled them yet? The Her Campus UCSB team weighs in with their very own New Year resolutions.

Have you accomplished your New Year’s resolutions, collegiettes™? Tell us below!

Elizabeth Wagmeister, Campus Correspondent
My New Year’s resolution was to implement the gym into my weekly routine for the upcoming year. I want gym visits to become my steady routine so that I will be exercising 3-4 days each week. Honestly, I am guilty up to this point–unfortunately, I have only been a few times. But I did just return from the gym before I posted this blog, and spent almost an hour working up a sweat on the elliptical! And since I just recently joined Spectrum Sports Club in Goleta, I will be working my way towards a fit and healthy 2012.

Hannah Toutounchi, Staff Writer
My New Year’s resolution is to read the book my mom got me for Christmas, Steve Jobs’ biography. It may seem like a simple and somewhat unsubstantial resolution, but I think it’s important because I can’t remember the last time I read something that wasn’t just for school. I’ve also always been so fascinated about Steve Jobs and the legacy he has left in the world! He stood at the crossroads of science, technology, humanities, and aesthetics—he connected creativity with technology. Apple products boast remarkable feats of engineering, while also incorporating elements of imagination and innovation.

Jenna Harvey, Events Writer
My resolution was to do something each day for me because I want to, not because I have to. For example, today I watched this documentary I’ve wanted to see for a while, and yesterday I finished a book I’ve been meaning to get to. Little things, but I’ve done pretty well with it! I chose this resolution because last year, I was always playing catch up in classes and working, and didn’t take time to do things I really wanted!

Jenni Jacobs, Campus Cutie Correspondent and Public Relations
My New Year’s resolution was to find a new hobby, and I am still looking, but it’s tough to find while you are busy in school!

Lauren Briand, Staff Writer
My resolution is to be nicer to people, especially people that I don’t know because not only does it make them feel better, but me too. So far so good!

Maddie Stack, Photoblog Editor and Staff Writer
My New Year’s resolution is to be healthier (so cliché, I know). Working out is pretty good so far. I have been going to the gym and trying to eat healthy!

Megan Shapiro, Campus Cutie Correspondent
This New Year’s resolution was small: stop biting my nails. Not too big of a life change but no one realizes how bad nail biting is for your health! So far, I’ve been successful although I may have cheated a little by using a nail polish that makes the nails bad to taste. But hey, they’re long and beautiful now!

Michelle Tokunaga, Public Relations
I didn’t really set a resolution because I always get too ambitious and can never follow through (haha)! But I have a couple of resolutions from previous years that I still do! The first is taking derogatory words out of my vocabulary because I don’t think a lot of people realize that it’s really hurtful and sets a negative connotation. And the second resolution is to try and talk to someone new every day, even if they’re just a cashier or a random stranger in your class. I’ve made so many new friends and acquaintances that way, and I think it’s really interesting to hear what some people have to say.

Nicole Neumayr, Staff Writer
My New Year’s resolutions are to read the New York Times at least every other day, an to talk to at least one member of my family everyday. I failed one week on the first one, but got back on track, and haven’t failed the second one yet!

Parry Rominger, Head of Public Relations
My New Year’s resolutions were to floss daily. Also, to be more outgoing, friendly, social—especially during these last six months of college—and the obvious New Year’s resolution to work out and be healthier.

Phoebe Kaufman, Social Media Director and Public Relations
My New Year’s resolution was that I’m trying to complain less…its reaallllyyy hard. (Just kidding!)

Rachel Miller, Campus Correspondent
My New Year’s resolution #1 is to simply relax. With an incredibly busy college life, balancing school, a sorority, extracurricular activities; and, not to mention, a social life, it becomes difficult to merely take a deep breath and relax. I want to start slowing down and enjoying each thing I do. New Years resolution #2 is to be healthier. I want to stop with all of the failed attempts at crash dieting and crazy calorie switching and just make my entire lifestyle healthier. This means, incorporating at least 45 minutes of exercise into my schedule at least five times each week and making healthier eating choices. Lastly, New Years resolution #3 is to keep in better touch with my family and friends and make sure to talk to one family member and one friend each day. As for my first goal, I have failed….miserably. However, I am starting fresh and really trying hard to allow myself to relax and find joy in my hectic, yet very fun, schedule. Because of my very busy schedule, resolution #2 has been affected. I have actually been going to the gym quite often, but not as often as I would like. In addition, I have been eating healthy, but not as healthy as I expected I would. Nevertheless, I have not given up hope and have decided to implement a daily journal to track my exercise and eating choices as an aid for success. Finally, I have actually kept up my third resolution, texting or calling either my Mom, Dad or brother every day. As for my friends, we have created a message thread on Facebook and a texting thread—thank god for iPhones—in which we communicate daily!

Rebeca Velasco, Campus Celeb Correspondent
My New Year’s resolution was to get a job this quarter. I have accomplished my resolution by getting a job at SRB, and an internship through the Koegel Autism Center. (Woo hoo!)

Sara Tillinghast, Social Media Director and Public Relations
My New Year’s resolution was to take more chances. I’m usually very cautious, and have everything planned out, so I want to be more spontaneous and exciting. I think I’ve been doing an okay job so far, but there’s always room for improvement!

Shayna Cooperstone, Campus Celeb Correspondent
My goal was a very unique one—go to the gym and eat healthier. So far, I’ve gone to the gym about four times, and I just had pumpkin pie. #YOLO

Wylie Skillman, Photoblog Editor
My New Year’s resolutions were to continue to train for my Tough Mudder race (it’s February 25), and to read literature for fun. So far I’ve been pretty successful in both. I recently read “The Dovekeepers,” “East of Eden,” and the first in the “Game of Thrones” series, outside of my class reading. In terms of my race training, I’ve been running at least 15 miles per week, and going to both running and swimming practices a few times a week. Hopefully I can keep both new hobbies up!

Yassi Hosseini, Public Relations
My New Year’s resolution was to stick to my diet—and have lost 18 lbs. since I started! I also want to stop procrastinating until the end of the quarter to study.

Elizabeth ('12) is studying Communication and Professional Multimedia Writing at UC Santa Barbara. Born and raised in Calabasas, California, she is a valley girl at heart, but loves spending her time in big cities or at the beach. Elizabeth is currently interning at Santa Barbara Magazine, and is also a writer and reporter for the food, arts, and entertainment sections of her university's newspaper. After a semester studying abroad in Europe, she spent the past summer in New York City as an editorial intern at TV Guide Magazine through the highly competitive ASME Summer Internship Program. Aside from previous internships including a local radio station, Elizabeth worked in Los Angeles at FOX 11 KTTV as a production intern for the top-rated morning show, Good Day L.A and FOX 11 News, and was also recently published in Seventeen magazine. An entertainment fanatic, Elizabeth has interviewed E!'s Giuliana Rancic, the cast of Glee, Entourage, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and more. She is also a dedicated member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, and served her chapter as Vice President and executive board member. When she's not editing Her Campus articles, you can expect to find her at the gym, shopping, eating chocolate, or watching any show on Bravo. Elizabeth is preparing for a career in print or broadcast journalism, and loves working for Her Campus!