Her Campus Interviews Stephanie Lalanne of Oxygen’s “The Face”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

If you were once a fan of “America’s Next Top Model” in your middle school days, then you will definitely become an addict of Oxygen Network’s newest reality modeling show–“The Face.”

“Queen of Posing” Coco Rocha, modeling legend Naomi Campbell, and Victoria’s Secret Angel Karolina Kurkova are the three gorgeous coaches on this hit television show. Tune in and watch as these three stunners cut contestants each week–starting with 12 and ending with 1 woman who is deemed to have the face that will make it in the modeling industry. Fan favorite, Stephanie Lalanne, of Team Coco sat down with Her Campus to give us the inside scoop on working with Coco, how to break into the modeling industry, and what keeps her motivated. See what she has to say about the show and don’t forget to check out “The Face” every Tuesday night at 9/8c on Oxygen!

Her Campus: I was born and raised in…

Stephanie Lalanne: San Francisco, baby!      

HC: My favorite place to shop is…

SL: BCBG (if my wallet permits) and Zara (for basics)!

HC: 3 words I would use to describe myself are…

SL: funny, kind, and quirky!

HC: If I could marry any man, it would be…

SL: Jax from Sons of Anarchy         

HC: The song that gets me pumped up for a night out is…

SL: Queen’s “Don’t Stop Me Now”

HC: My favorite designer is…

SL: Rodarte

HC: How is it like working with world renowned supermodels Naomi Campbell, Coco Rocha, and Karolina Kurkova?

SL: I think when they walked into the room for the first time, I seriously couldn’t breathe. It was quite a moment. But once you get over their amazingness (you really never do) and look at them as people and mentors, it’s a really rewarding experience. Each one of them has a different area of expertise in the industry, and I just tried to soak in as much as I could whenever they were around!

HC: What do you believe separates Coco from the other judges (Naomi and Karolina) on The Face?

SL: From my personal observance and perspective, I think that Coco has been the most hands-on coach since we’ve actually left filming. She has such an amazing handle/following on social media, and she’s constantly promoting whatever we do–whether it’s a photo shoot, an article we’re mentioned in, or a blog we authored.

HC: What is one thing Coco has given you that has stuck?

SL: “Don’t be afraid to take risks, just commit to them.” She’s really the “Queen of Posing,” so you better listen when she talks. I like that while the way she taught us wasn’t always the safest route to take, it will definitely get you noticed.

HC: You were voted America’s “Fan Favorite” out of all of the models on the show and seem to have dodged your way out of a lot of the drama on set. What do you think makes you so relatable and easy to get along with?

SL: I just kept the mantra of ‘no one does you better than you.’ I didn’t want to be one of those girls that put on an act for the cameras because I felt like the person I am is (hopefully) good enough . I will be the first one to tell you I failed or made a fool of myself, and maybe people appreciate that I am aware of my flaws and I’m just trying to work with them as much as anyone else. I think the key is to never take yourself too seriously!

HC: What is the best advice you would give to those aspiring to get into the modeling or entertainment industry?

SL: I would say for aspiring models, it’s good to just get out there and go to an agency–see what they’re looking for and soak in whatever you can. There’s going to be a lot of “No’s” out there (I’ve already gotten some) and it might hurt at first, but it’s important to take the experience with you, learn from it, and become stronger!

HC: After Season 1 of The Face is over, what do you plan to pursue with your life and career?

SL: I think just riding the wave of what’s to come is key. Music has always been my first love, so I’d like to always be involved with that somehow. I know this show is all about modeling, which I am absolutely trying to pursue, but I think I could also be suited for commercial work or something that allows me to show my voice and personality a bit more. 

Maya is currently a third year Communications major at UCSB and a San Francisco native. As an previous editorial intern for HC and current Campus Correspondent, Maya loves to write about her NOMtastic food endeavors and the laid back fashion and style of California. With an interest in magazine editorial writing and public relations, Maya plans to pursue these fields as she continues to add a little more spice to every Collegiate’s life!
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus