The HC-UCSB Holiday Gift Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s that time of year again! No, not finals—the holidays! As you are wrapping up your finals and gearing up to head home, giving gifts can be another added source of stress. But instead of concerning yourself with gift-giving, Her Campus UCSB has supplied you with a gift guide for everyone important in your life. So enjoy the eggnog, latkes, tree-decorating, and dreidels. And most of all, follow this list to be the best Secret Santa you can be!

Parents:

For the Stressed Out Mom:

• Mother and Daughter Spa Day (check Groupon or Living Social for deals in your area)

For the Forever-Young Mom:

• Champagne Flutes or Wine Glasses (home sections at department stores have great selections)

For the Likes-A-Good-Story Mom:
    •    Amazon Kindle (now more affordable than ever!)

For the BBQ’n Dad:
    •    grilling supplies and seasonings
    •    to spoil Dad, order home-delivered filet mignon from Omaha Steaks (but it will cost you a pretty penny!)

For the Intellectual Dad:

•    Season DVD’s  of his favorite shows:
    •    Planet Earth
    •    Life

•    History Channel specials

For the Monday Night Football Dad:

•  limited-edition holiday beer packages (from any supermarket)
  • add a personal touch with monogrammed beer mugs (can find companies to order from online)

Siblings:

For the Pop-Cultered Sister:
    •    magazine subscription to:
    •    People
    •    Cosmopolitan
    •    US Weekly
    •    Harper’s Bazaar

•    and for your younger sister, surprise her with Seventeen magazine or Teen Vogue

For the On-the-Go Sister:

• fashion-forward smartphone cover:
  • Marc Jacobs, Juicy Couture, and Missoni for Target all make cases for the iPhone
  • Kate Spade makes sophisticated leather Blackberry cases

For the Fashion-Forward Sister (or Friend!):
    •    spoil her with the top winter trends of this season:
    •    thigh-high flat boots
    •    shearling-lined leather jacket
    •    cross-body bag
    •    suede booties
    •    black skinny jeans

For the Chest-Bumping Brother:
    •    NBA Tickets (the lockout is dunzo!)

For the Comical Brother:
    •    the funniest shows are now are DVD:
    •    Modern Family
    •    Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    •    Family Guy

•    The Office
    •    30 Rock
    •    The Simpsons
(for your little brother)

For the Tech-Savvy Brother:
    •    iHome
    •    headphones
    •    wireless PS3 controller (you will be his favorite sister)

Friends:

For the adventurous friend:
    •    Groupon or Living Social passes for skydiving, ziplining, or bungee jumping

For the Sporty Girl:
    •    UCSB yoga pants and tanks
    •    a workout DVD

For the Party Girl (these are great gifts for collegiettes™ on a budget!):
    •    decorated shot glasses
    •    fruity flavored bottles of Andre champagne in a gift bag (only for 21+ friends!)

For the Girly-Girl:
    •    special edition holiday gift sets from MAC cosmetics (lipglosses, eyeshadows, and more)

For the Nerdy Girl:
    •    trendy pencil case from Urban Outfitters or Anthropology

Boyfriend:

For the Trendy Guy:

• make your man look like a male model with these sexy and stylish winter trends:
  • cordouroy pants
  • henley long-sleeve tees
  • argyle sweater vest (for his internship or job interviews!)
  • wayfarer RayBan sunglasses
  • Sperry Topsider shoes

For the House-Music Guru:

• tickets to a New Years show…
  • in Los Angeles: Together As One, Fedde LeGrand, Porter Robinson, Hardwell
  • in New York City: Avicii, Tiesto, Laidback Luke

For the Wine-and-Dine Boyfriend:
    •    personalized flask with his engraved name

Elizabeth ('12) is studying Communication and Professional Multimedia Writing at UC Santa Barbara. Born and raised in Calabasas, California, she is a valley girl at heart, but loves spending her time in big cities or at the beach. Elizabeth is currently interning at Santa Barbara Magazine, and is also a writer and reporter for the food, arts, and entertainment sections of her university's newspaper. After a semester studying abroad in Europe, she spent the past summer in New York City as an editorial intern at TV Guide Magazine through the highly competitive ASME Summer Internship Program. Aside from previous internships including a local radio station, Elizabeth worked in Los Angeles at FOX 11 KTTV as a production intern for the top-rated morning show, Good Day L.A and FOX 11 News, and was also recently published in Seventeen magazine. An entertainment fanatic, Elizabeth has interviewed E!'s Giuliana Rancic, the cast of Glee, Entourage, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and more. She is also a dedicated member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, and served her chapter as Vice President and executive board member. When she's not editing Her Campus articles, you can expect to find her at the gym, shopping, eating chocolate, or watching any show on Bravo. Elizabeth is preparing for a career in print or broadcast journalism, and loves working for Her Campus!
Rachel is a senior at UC Santa Barbara and studies Communication and Global Peace and Security. Rachel is from a small, beautiful town in southern California called Palos Verdes. However, Palos Verdes is just one of the many places Rachel has lived. Rachel spent her childhood moving and traveling all over the world, living in places such as Indianapolis, Indiana; Santiago, Chile; Vienna, Austria; and Orlando, Florida. Rachel has found her heart and her home in California, choosing to spend her college years in sunny Santa Barbara. However, Rachel continued her wanderlust when she studied abroad in Barcelona, Spain in Fall 2012. At UCSB, Rachel is an immensely dedicated and involved member of her sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma, where she held the positions of Panhellenic Delegate, Inter-Greek Counselor, Rho Gam, and a member of the Nominating Slate. Best Buddies, a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, is a passion of Rachel's, as she is their Social Media Coordinator as well as an active and proud member. As a member of the Lambda Pi Eta Communication Honors Society, Rachel is able to implement her prowess and affinity for communication and communication-related issues. When Rachel is not writing, participating in Kappa events, or volunteering, you can find her in the gym, on the soccer field, watching Modern Family, or cooking. Rachel's love for sports, food, and writing often times go hand-in-hand, as one may see in her weekly blogs. For the past two summers, Rachel has been freelance writing for the Los Angeles Times, and hopes to continue her career pursuit of journalism after she graduates. Rachel is elated to be a part of Her Campus's fabulous team and loves every moment of it!