Has “Free & for Sale (UCSB)” Become the New Dating Site?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

The “Free & For Sale (UCSB)” Facebook group has been one of the top sites an undergrad goes to in order to buy cheap textbooks or sell slightly used clothing, but since when was it used to find your soulmate? The Facebook site has over 27,977 members. This is more than how many people attend UCSB, which is around 24,000. No wonder – the “Free & For Sale (UCSB)” page has been a hit at finding your perfect match. Recently, undergraduates have been utilizing the Facebook site as a way to find their potential dating partner. Instead of selling some object, they are selling their hearts to one lucky male or female.

So, collegiettes, what do you think about this? Is this the Cinderella moment you have always dreamt about, where instead of a glass slipper, you scroll down the site to see you fit the prescription of your undergraduate charming? Would you reply or dm him or her? Using the page has some pros and cons, and these collegiettes will help you answer the above questions.

Image via giphy

Jennifer Olguin

Major: Political and Environmental

Year: Second

Hometown: San Diego

Hobbies: Watch Netflix

Collegiette, how would you react if this was directed towards you?  If this was toward to me, while this is cute, this is also creepy. It is creepy because of the fact that they are putting you on the website. So exposing you to all of these people.

Is this the Cinderella moment you have always dreamt about? No, because you didn’t lose something that someone would later give to you. A modern technical love story.

Would you reply or dm him or her? It is creepy, so no not really. If I did message them I would ask why didn’t you just go up to me? I believe by doing this romance is dead because in this case, I feel like they are starting to start a meme. It would have been cute if he went up to her and talk to her. People don’t care, don’t make it public. I feel like people do it for attention. I would feel creeped out because I feel like I am being watched.

Eimy Fernandez

Major: Sociology

Year: Second

Hometown: Anaheim

Hobbies: Looking at cute dog pictures

Organizations: El Congreso

Collegiete how would you react if this was directed towards you? I would pretend that I would have never seen it. I feel like its part in flattering because someone took note of me but it is weird because they are not getting to know me in a common way. But it seems like they are seeking you out.

Is this the Cinderella moment you have always dreamt about? I guess yes, but what were his intentions? He wasn’t doing this to marry her immediately.

Would you reply or dm him or her? No, I wouldn’t. However, if it was for a friend I would say to message him. But personally I would not, there just is no honest connection.

Nicole Juliette

Major: Sociology

Year: Second

Hometown: North Hollywood

Hobbies: Watching Jersey Shore

Organization: She is in Hermanas Unidas​

Collegiette, how would you react if this was directed towards you? I think the idea is too much. Many people make jokes on the free and for sale page, so I believe no one would take it seriously.I feel like there are already many dating apps people use at UCSB like Tinder. The free and for sale page is on Facebook which is a pretty open space, so it would be too exposed for someone to find someone to date seriously. If this were to happen to me I would not enjoy the experience I am the type of person who likes to meet people in social settings through friends or by chance.

Is this the Cinderella moment you have always dreamt about? It definitely is not the Cinderella moment I have dreamt about. I am not a hopeless romantic, so I don’t daydream about how I am gonna meet my future boyfriend. The idea of scrolling to find someone who fits my description of someone I would want to date is not realistic because someone can represent themselves as one person online and be someone else in person.

Image via Hermanas UCSB

Would you reply or dm him or her? I would reply if I was approached to be polite, but I would not reach out or dm a guy. I would think it would be a cute gesture if the message was not too forward, but if they state something inappropriate or too overbearing I would find it creepy.

image via Facebook didn’t kill its language-building 

My name is Jasmine Marie Palmerin. I am a second year, majoring in English and Sociology.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)