Green Ways to Save Money as an IV Renter!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Living in IV will be one of the best experiences of our lives, as everything we need is just a block away. However, renting your own place comes with lots of responsibilities. We can’t remind you to pay your rent on time each month, but here are some tips on how you can more environmentally and economically friendly as a renter!

1. Moving Out – Don’t waste your money buying new boxes for moving your stuff! You can usually collect boxes from grocery stores, liquor stores, and other shops, or find great deals on used packing goods (boxes, bubble wrap) on Craigslist.

2. Green Cleaning – There are plenty of household supplies that can be used to clean your house! Lemon juice kills bacteria in the kitchen and bathroom, and can be mixed with vinegar or baking soda to make a cleaning solution or paste. Baking soda gets rid of smells in the fridge, or in the carpet by soaking up odors, then being vacuumed. Vinegar cuts through grease, mildew, and stains. A bit of toothpaste can help polish faucets, taps, and linoleum, as well!

3. Moving In – There are many great places to get used furniture without having the break the bank on the brand new. Make sure you check with family members to see if they have any unwanted or unneeded furniture in the house. You can also check out local thrift shops, flea markets, garage sales, Craigslist, freecycle.com, and IV Give for other great bargains!

4. End the Water Bottle Epidemic – Drinking tap water is perfectly safe, and tastes even better if you use a Brita water filter! There are also several “refill stations” around campus. Purchasing an aluminum reusable bottle by Sigg or Klean Kanteen can help you save money in the long run and is more environmentally friendly. This way, you won’t need to spend extra money on plastic bottles each time at the store. In addition, energy for transport and delivery of water bottles is decreased.

5. Lights – Using compact fluorescent bulbs instead of incandescent bulbs will save you between 50%-75% in annual light costs.

6. Vampire Energy – Even when appliances are turned off, they leak energy. When plugged into the wall, they leak 15 watts of continuous electricity. If plugged into a power strip, however, they leak only 1-3 watts of energy. That means paying for electricity you are not using! Make sure you unplug small appliances, chargers, etc. when not in use.

You can find more about greener or cheaper alternatives from UCSB Community Housing Office’s Green Housing Guide. UCSB Community Housing Office is located on the 3rd floor of the UCen, and is open from 8am to 12pm, 1pm to 5pm.
Allison is a Global Studies major at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She is the Assistant Editor at Her Campus UCSB a contributor to the chapter's Instagram, @hercampusucsb. Allison believes that life is about balances, but that you can never have too many breakfast burritos. You can follow Allison's personal Instagram at @allycnco for life around Santa Barbara, good eats, and travels!
Mya McCann is a fourth year literature student in the College of Creative Studies at UCSB. She currently lives in Bangkok, Thailand and is in the business of running BKK. On the weekends you can find Mya either in the jungle or on an island. On the weekdays she studies Thai and Buddhism and teaches English to sex workers in the red light district. You can follow her adventures on IG: MyaJoy