Give a Handwritten Letter this Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Gift-giving (and receiving) is arguably one of the most exciting aspects of the holiday season. The joy one feels watching a loved one open a present prepared with the utmost sincerity fully embodies the warmth and interconnectedness of the holiday spirit.

While American consumerism continues to bolster the materiality of gift-giving with year-end sales and Black Friday, there is a certain closeness that emerges in expressing one’s gratitude for another through a handwritten letter. Whether you may or may not be scrambling to find those last-minute gifts, consider preparing a handwritten letter to wrap up that present prettier than any bow!

Though it may seem cumbersome and outdated to handwrite a physical letter, taking the time to do so would be even more indicative of the emotionality one wishes to express to their addressee. Given the technological means of communication that have emerged in recent years, the instantaneity of texting or interacting via various social media platforms has clouded human communication with doubts of ingenuity. Because physically writing out words with pen and paper delays one’s thought process, the words one chooses to utilize to express their emotions are more articulate and intentional than even direct verbal communication. 

Deliberately handwriting letters to one’s loved ones also allows for a nostalgic materiality that lasts through the remainder of their lifetime. In my personal experience, the handwritten letters I received from friends and family are amongst my most treasured possessions because of its sentimental value. While directly expressing the appreciation one has for another is touching but fleeting, the physicality of a handwritten letter immortalizes one’s words into a permanent, tactile possession that can be revisited as a record of one’s thoughtfulness. 

Additionally, the significance of gifting a handwritten letter is unaffected by the financial means dedicated to its preparation. As a child, I opted to express my appreciation for my parents and close friends through letters because of my obvious lack of income. The sincerity conveyed through a handwritten letter is priceless regardless of its materials, which is why I actively choose to write letters for my loved ones in addition to the presents I can now afford.

Some of my favorite ways to personalize a letter include spraying the letter with scented perfume or cologne that would remind them of you or additionally providing a sentimental photograph of yourself with your addressee to remind them of a specific memory you both share.

If you are looking for ways to aesthetically dress up your letter, there are various ways one can add their own flare. If you do not already have your own stationery, doodling along the margins can help add some life to your writing. Although writing letters is already good handwriting practice, you can take it up a notch with embellishments by writing the addressee’s name or the headings and closings in calligraphy. If you plan on presenting your letter in an envelope, consider sealing it with a sticker relevant to your relationship with the recipient or a wax seal. The letter itself can also be folded into an envelope for sealing. 

Nonetheless, purchasing extra supplies to decorate your letter is completely unnecessary. One does not need to be a professional or have calligraphy pens in order to execute calligraphy. Utilizing alternative writing mediums such as colored markers or manually filling in the thickened downstrokes with a ballpoint pen would suffice. Makeshift wax seals can also be DIY’d with common household items like crayons or candles. 

Taking the time and effort to handwrite letters for your loved ones is not only a foolproof way to genuinely express the gratitude and appreciation you have for them, it also gifts your addressees an intimate gift to cherish for years to come.

Hi, I'm Kaitlyn! I'm an English major at UCSB with a specialization in Lit and Mind that involves the psychological, philosophical, and psychoanalytical analysis of literature. When I'm not reading, I love to play RPGs, visit museums, and try out new recipes. I'm so excited to contribute to UCSB's HC platform by provoking conversations about issues I am deeply passionate about such as mental health, xenophobia, and gender equality.