Gaucho’s Guide to Partying in IV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

1. Make sure you are going out with people you trust.

Partying can be fun, but it can also be dangerous if you’re not cautious. Be sure you have friends who are looking out for you. Besides, it’s a lot more fun going out when you have good company!

2. NEVER drink on an empty stomach. 

Rookie mistake. Just don’t do it. 

3. It’s okay to say, “no”.

You don’t have to drink if you don’t want to. At the end of the day, it’s your decision and people will respect that. If you do feel pressured though, just hold a red solo cup to make it look like you’re drinking. You can still go out and have fun without drinking if you are with the right people. One of the BEST parts of going out is just getting to meet new people!

4. Know your limit.

This kind of goes along with number 3. Once you’ve gotten to a good point, it’s probably not a idea to keep going. 

5. NEVER sit on the curb. 

GOLDEN RULE IN IV. Cops are known for approaching people who sit on the curb (because it looks like you’re too drunk, even if you’re not) and putting them in drunk tanks.

6. Parties end at midnight.

12AM is when most parties start for other schools, but in IV that’s when most parties get shut down because there’s a noise ordinance. Yeah, it kind of sucks, but you also have to think about the fact that there are families living in IV. 

7. Don’t wear nice shoes. 

Trust me, they will get ruined. 

8. DRINK WATER. LOTS OF IT. 

Good tip to follow if you don’t want to wake up hungover! 

Cindy is a San Diego native currently attending the University of California, Santa Barbara. As a 2nd year Global Studies major she aspires to work in the PR or marketing industry. During her free time she enjoys hanging out with friends, admiring the breathtaking IV sunsets, napping, shopping, or binge watching favorite TV shows. 
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay