From Disney Star to Cosmic CEO: The Unstoppable Journey of Bridgit Mendler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

As a young girl who found solace in the enchanting world of Disney Channel, my days felt incomplete until the familiar echo of “You’re watching Disney Channel!” reverberated through the screen, accompanied by the iconic appearance of those magical mouse ears. Little did I know, one of the bright stars of that television universe would transcend the typical trajectory of a Disney star, charting a course all her own. 

At the young age of 31, Bridgit Mendler’s journey extends far beyond her Disney stardom; it’s evident that she’s a multi-talented powerhouse. While some former Disney stars may veer off course, Mendler has charted her own remarkable path — one marked by resilience and diverse accomplishments.

From her roots as a Disney star to her ventures in music, and her remarkable academic achievements as a student of both MIT and Harvard, to embracing the roles of CEO and mother, Mendler’s repertoire seems boundless. 

Indeed, as we marvel at her multifaceted career, one can’t help but wonder: Is there anything she can’t do? 

Disney Actress

Good Luck Charlie holds a special place in my heart as one of my personal favorite Disney Channel shows. The series delved into the lives of the Duncan Family, with Bridgit Mendler embodying the role of the endearing eldest sister, Teddy. Teddy’s tenderly crafted video diaries for her younger sister, Charlie, capturing life’s milestones while showcasing invaluable life lessons.

Yet, her journey with Disney didn’t stop there. She also graced the screen in the beloved Disney film Lemonade Mouth, where a group of diverse teens find friendship in detention and form an unexpected bond through music. In the film, Mendler portrayed Olivia, the charismatic lead vocalist of the band.

One could argue that the film Lemonade Mouth served as a catalyst for her upcoming singing career.

PopStar In The Making

Ready or not, Bridgit Mendler also made waves in the music industry. Among her discography, standout hits such as “Hurricane” and “Ready or Not” have etched themselves into the fabric of pop culture. They ascended their way onto their US Billboard Hot 100, most notably with “Ready or Not” debuting at number six, solidifying Mendler’s undeniable talent. Yet, her journey doesn’t end there.

Educated Queen

Now if you thought she was finished after her newfound stardom, you’d be wrong. Amidst a hiatus from music, she pursued higher education at USC, where she earned her bachelor’s degree in Anthropology. This was just the beginning of her academic pursuits; she later attained a Masters of Science in Media Arts and Sciences from MIT and is currently pursuing a Ph.D. at the same institution. As if that weren’t impressive enough, Mendler has also ventured into the legal realm, concurrently working towards a JD at Harvard. What, like it’s hard?

Woman In Charge

Now, let’s dive into the eagerly awaited highlight: Bridgit Mendler’s latest endeavor, which has undoubtedly sparked interest worldwide. You’ve likely already caught wind of her remarkable feat in assuming the role of CEO for a pioneering space startup company. And yep, it’s true! Mendler passionately describes her company, Northwood Space, as “a data highway between Earth and space.” Mendler aims to revolutionize satellite data collection. Through the innovative mass production of antennas, her company seeks to establish seamless connectivity with satellites orbiting in space.

Mothering

Bridgit Mendler’s story continues to unfold with even more plot twists! In a heartwarming announcement, she revealed she began her journey fostering alongside her husband, Griffin Cleverly, back in 2021. Fast forward to Christmas 2022, when they solidified their bond by officially adopting their now four-year-old boy. I guess you could say she’s mothering… literally! 

Bridgit Mendler showcases that with determination, there’s no limit to what one can achieve. From her days at Disney, she’s gracefully navigated her career to remarkable heights. I know that I’m proud to see how far she’s come! And to anyone who intends on following in her footsteps, I offer a heartfelt, “Good Luck Charlie!” 

Hey I’m Isabella and I’m a first year pre-communications major at UCSB! I love Taylor Swift, reading, hanging out with friends, and going to the beach!