Shopping via Unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Shopping via Unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Cam Morin via Unsplash
Style

Five Clothing Brands That Are Doing Their Part for the Environment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

We all love the feeling of buying a new outfit, but did you know that the fashion industry is actually one of the biggest pollutors in the world? In fact, it is the seccond, just after the oil industry. The fast fashion industry contributes to excessive water consumption and pollution, waste, and greenhouse gas emissions. Here are some clothing brands that are doing their part for the environment and, by providing sustainable clothing, helping you to do the same. 

Alternative Apparel

Located in Norcross, GA, Alternative Apparel supplies the comfiest basics using recycled cotton and eco-friendly dyes. According to their website, recycling saves the planet from more “herbicides and pesticides associated with growing cotton” while also “keeping textile waste away from landfills.” Alternative also took a pledge to replace all polyester with 100% recycled polyester in their future fabrics by 2021. Not only do they have the best basics for college life but for our planet too! If you’re looking for a new pair of leggings or a new hoodie, this is the right place.

Threads 4 Thought

For over ten years Threads 4 Thought has provided sustainable clothing out of its headquarters in Los Angeles, CA. This brand is a certified B Corp Organization, meaning they are all organic and use recycled materials. Their products line includes activewear, accessories, dresses, tops, and bottoms.Their factories ensure the best working conditions for their employees and practice the highest level of sustainable production. They’ve even teamed up with organizations that help their profits benefit in-need communities around the world. Their motto #threadlightly is exactly what you’ll be doing when sporting this brand.

Girlfriend Collective

This Seattle based activewear brand believes that “good things come to those who don’t waste,” and with how good these leggings are, I have to agree. Girlfriend collective is 100% eco-friendly, meaning even their packaging is recycled and recyclable! With leggings, sports bras, and other activewear essentials made out of recycled water bottles and eco-friendly dyes, the next time you break a sweat, you’ll feel even better knowing you’re helping the environment!

Everlane 

Everlane is definitely making moves in the fashion industry by being completely transparent with their customers. They are honest about what factories their clothes are produced in and exactly how much it costs to make them. This allows them to offer their amazing dresses, denim, sweaters, shoes and so much more to us without the retail mark-up. Everlane also uses the highest quality fabrics, most of which are organic and recycled, so their clothing can last in our closets forever!

Madewell

With their low waste packaging, fabric recycling, and Fair Trade Certified products, Madewell is definitely doing their best for the earth. With their participation in the Blue Jeans Go Green™ program, Madewell also allows you to recycle your old pair of jeans (literally any style and any brand) at a Madewell store for 20$ off your next pair of jeans! Not only do you get a great discount, but your jeans will be turned into housing insulation for communities in need. If you needed an excuse to buy a new pair of jeans, here it is! 

Jess is a junior transfer student at UCSB majoring in English. She loves reading, writing, and baking. She is plant based and passionate about animals and our planet. She hopes to become a novelist and own her own coffee shop one day. When she's not in class, you might find her at a local coffee shop, practicing yoga or listening to Taylor Swift.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus