sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Female Comedians to Look Out For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Formerly successful male comics Louis C.K. and Aziz Ansari returned to the stage far too soon after each were accused of sexual harassment during the #MeToo movement. It’s important now more than ever to support the hilarious, hardworking women in comedy. Don’t know where to start? We’ve got you covered!

1. Amber Ruffin

Ruffin is a trailblazer as the first black woman writer for a late-night network talk show in the U.S. I hope she’ll become the first black female host of a late-night network talk show. Ruffin has been a writer for Late Night with Seth Meyers since 2014. I first saw her on “Jokes Seth Can’t Tell,” a segment on the show featuring Ruffin, Meyers, and Jenny Hagel. Seth can’t tell certain jokes as a straight white man. Instead, Meyers sets up the jokes, then Ruffin and Hagel deliver the punch lines because Ruffin is black, Hagel is gay, and they’re “both women!” 

The comedian also shines in her solo performances on Late Night in a segment called “Amber Says What” because of her amazing energy. You would think comedy that relies on how Amber says “What?!” would get boring, but it’s impossible to get bored watching Ruffin respond to the week’s biggest headlines.

Image via Giphy

2. Awkwafina

If you haven’t already seen Awkwafina in Ocean’s Eight, Crazy Rich Asians, or as the first Asian female host of SNL in 18 years, I don’t know where you’ve been. I first saw Awkwafina on MTV’s Girl Code where she delivered flawless one-liners. As if she wasn’t already enough of a badass, Awkwafina also raps. Her viral song “My Vag,” which got her fired from one of her office jobs, is even more catchy that you’d think.

Image via Giphy

3. Iliza Shlesinger

Shlesinger’s most recent Netflix comedy special, “Elder Millennial,” came out earlier this year and I was not disappointed. I once heard someone describe Schlesinger as the woke version of Amy Schumer and I couldn’t agree more. Schlesinger infuses her comedy that cracks you up with social commentary on gender in society. In addition to her stand-up, she wrote a book called Girl Logic and will be featured in “Instant Family,” a movie starring Mark Wahlberg and Rose Byrne later this year. Now go check out “Elder Millennial” or any of her other Netflix specials so you can love her too.

Image via Giphy

4. Michelle Buteau

Buteau hosts Late Night Whenever, a podcast version of a late night talk show, which happens to have the catchiest theme song ever. Buteau’s chemistry with Rob Lewis, the show’s musician, makes for great comedy. Her monologues about random topics such as her uneven sized breasts will have you laughing with your earphones plugged in looking like a weirdo.

Image via Giphy

5. Ali Wong

People actually dressed up as Wong for Halloween. That is how loved she is. Wong performed both of her stand-up specials on Netflix while pregnant. And not just a little pregnant. Like, super pregnant. Wong talks about taboo subjects, like what really happens after giving birth that no one talks about. She also takes a satirical approach to mainstream feminism. In her stand-up special “Baby Cobra,” Wong explains, “I don’t want to lean in. I want to lie down.”

Image via Giphy

6. Ego Nwodim

Nwodim is the newest featured player on the latest season of Saturday Night Live. So far, she’s been featured in a few sketches including “Traffic Stop” and “Dance Battle” alongside Leslie Jones, Kate MacKinnon, and even our fave Awkwafina. Before she started on SNL, Nwodim earned a biology degree from the University of Southern California. Later, she joined the improv troupe UCB (Upright Citizens Brigade) where many famous comedians got their start, including Aubrey Plaza, Donald Glover, and Amy Poehler. Here’s hoping that Nwodim becomes a full-fledged SNL cast member in the upcoming seasons!

Image via Giphy

Ashley is a graduate from UC Santa Barbara with a major in Communication and minor in Professional Writing. She is from San Diego, but Santa Barbara will always be her second home. Her loves include alpacas, books, comedy and celebrities. If you want to be her best friend, just bring her some vegan cookies or donuts.
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.