Feeling Unsafe as a Woman in Isla Vista: Taking Action to Protect Ourselves

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

In recent weeks, the rate of crime in Isla Vista has increased exponentially. As per usual, a vast majority of victims have been women. Despite the rise in crime, there has been a clear lack of law enforcement presence ensuring the safety of our community. Not only am I fearful for my own safety, but for the safety of others as well. I spoke to many other UCSB students (most of whom are women), and many are afraid to leave their homes. This is a serious problem. Local law enforcement can only do so much; therefore, we need to take action to ensure our own safety. 

Crimes Committed

According to the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office, on February 28th, both the Sheriff’s Office and UCSB Police received multiple reports of sexual assaults and possible kidnappings in the Isla Vista area; these reports included incidences of indecent exposure and nonconsensual fondling. Luckily, the suspect from these crimes has been identified and arrested. 

Less than two weeks later, following the attempted kidnappings and sexual assaults, further crimes were committed in Isla Vista. On March 11, 2022, the Isla Vista Foot Patrol was notified that there was a robbery that had occurred at the 7-11 store on the 6500-block of Trigo Road. According to the Sheriff’s Office, the suspect was allegedly carrying a firearm and was able to get away with an undisclosed amount of stolen cash. Unfortunately, the suspect has not been located.

What Can You Do

As a UCSB student, I generally walk to and from campus. Oftentimes, I arrive home late from campus when the sun has already gone down. Many other students do this as well, but as a woman, this can be especially daunting. Prior to the recent crimes, I generally felt comfortable walking alone at night in Isla Vista, but due to these unfortunate events, I have since taken precautions to ensure my safety as a woman, and you should too.

• Every UCSB student should be aware of the university’s CSO (Community Service Organization). According to the UCSB Police Department, the CSO can provide Safety Escorts that are available for anyone 24/7, 365 days a year, and they are encouraged if you are walking or biking alone. Safety Escort Phone Line at 805-893-2000.

Be safe Gauchos!

Hello there, my name is Jolene Cuevas and I’m from Santa Cruz, California! I’m a senior at the University of California Santa Barbara majoring in Communication. I’m a first generation college student who has an interest in writing, media, and marketing. I am passionate about women’s rights, women’s education, and women’s health. In the future, I hope to find a career that allows me to work in the areas that I am passionate about in a creative and collaborative way. In my free time, I enjoy learning about astrology, spending time with friends, doing karaoke, and exercising!