This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Name: Fatima Suarez

Age: 26 Years Old

Hometown:  San Bernardino, CA

Major/Area of Study: Sociology, Ph.D.

Relationship Status: Single

Celebrity Crush: Viola Davis is Queen.   

How did you end up at UCSB?

I applied for the Sociology graduate program at UCSB because I wanted to work with two UCSB faculty members. The Sociology department was very welcoming and their focus was primarily in areas of research that I found most interesting. The graduate students that I met were also welcoming and present. I felt that UCSB Soc would help me sharpen my sociological lens and develop my overall intellectual self.

What excites you about being a Campus Cutie?

In high school I was never recognized for such characterizations as the ‘most popular’, ‘best dressed’, ‘most athletic’, etc. so I find the consideration as a Campus Cutie to be both humbling and exciting. What excites me the most is the realization that nerds such as myself (I also consider ‘intellectual badass’ as an alternative term to ‘nerd’) can be celebrated as campus cuties.

If you could change anything about the world, what would it be?

I would like people to be more compassionate and community oriented. There are places around the world where the community trumps individual interests. In the U.S., it’s all about the individual and this ideology has allowed us to forget our compassion, our empathy for our fellow people. This ideology has also allowed people to seek what is solely best for them and not what is best for others and those who are coming after them. If we allow some room for compassion, then maybe we can begin to address some of the mistakes and injustices that today’s generations have inherited. If we cared if others had access to clean water, education, voting, housing, and health care, etc. then maybe the world might be a safer place for EVERYONE.

What do you look for in the ideal partner?

My ideal partner would have to be someone who is an intellectual; someone who likes to travel; who is sensitive; who can make me laugh. It is someone who can stand with me, who can support me, (and who I could also support) and who respects me. My ideal partner is someone who makes me want to be a better me; who brings out the best in me and who is also not afraid to let me know when I have made a mistake, not so that he can feel superior, but because he wants me to do well.

Favorite Social Media app/website?

Pinterest is a great social media app. You can find great ideas on how to decorate your home, some beauty and health tips, and how to make delicious meals. I can’t get enough of the crockpot recipes; I have a board with over 100 pins on just these recipes!

What are your favorite things to do?

I enjoy wine tasting, hosting dinner parties, going to the gym, reading in coffee shops, and rocking at Karaoke, especially when Selena’s “Bidi Bidi Bom Bom” is on the list of songs.

Favorite color and why?

I have two favorite colors. First, I absolutely like red. Red conveys passion. It’s fierce. It’s the color of my favorite lipstick. It’s the color of my optimistic soul. It’s raw. Red makes you stand out; it lets people know of your powerful presence. It’s an empowering color. My second favorite color is purple. It’s royal. It’s elegant and sophisticated. Purple conveys my charismatic spirit.

Extracurriculars?

I am currently a Resident Assistant (RA) for graduate student housing at UCSB. My passion is to empower others so that they too can find their passion and the RA position definitely facilitates this goal.

Lastly… mango or pineapple?

I enjoy a mango smoothie, but a nice cold glass of piña colada on a hot summer day gets me excited every time. :)

Film & Media Major, #BlackGaucho, Senior, and writer.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.