free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Fashion Tips For Your First Job Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Right now it might feel like this school year will never end, but with summer only four months away now is the perfect time to start thinking about potential summer jobs. Internships, in particular, are great if you want to gain valuable experience and skills which will put you ahead of the game after graduation. When planning an interview outfit, you do not have to sacrifice fashion for professionalism. With these helpful outfit tips, you will walk into that interview with the confidence you need to blow your interviewer away!

1. Tops

Image via Pinterest

Image via Pinterest

The most versatile piece of clothing for business occasions is a nicely fitted button-down shirt. Not only do button-down shirts work well for interviews, they also can be worn in everyday outfits. If you do not have a button-down, a simple blouse would also do that trick. For whichever type of top you may choose, make sure your top that is not too low cut, brightly colored or loudly patterned so that you can have all of the attention on you.

2. Bottoms

Image via Google Images

Image via Target

Steer clear of wearing leggings or jeans to your first internship interview. The last thing you want to happen is your interviewer to doubt your level of professionalism. It is recommended to have at least one or two pairs of hemmed trousers in your closet or knee-length pencil skirts that hit just above your knees if you want a more glamorous look. Make sure that your bottoms fit well, not too baggy or too tight, and neutral colors are also recommended.

3. Shoes

Image via Google Images                

Image via Google Images

Shoes are a great way to express your personal style in an interview outfit. If you want to go for the business professional look, make sure to have a pair of closed toe black heels no more than two-three inches high. Make sure these heels are comfortable enough for walking, sitting, or standing for long periods of time. Mary Janes, dressy loafers, oxfords, and ballet flats are some great alternative options as well.  

4. Blazer

Image via Google Images              

Image via Pinterest

For accomplishing that sophisticated and powerful look, you can never go wrong with adding a blazer to your outfit. However, the fit is the most important when choosing the right blazer for your body type. Important things to check would be how the blazer fits your shoulders, the sleeve length, and whether the blazer is too loose or tight. Again, it would be wise to stick with more neutral colors like navy or black.

5. Jewelry

Image via Pinterest   

Image via Pinterest

Image via Pinterest

Because large, chunky jewelry can be distracting for your interviewer, be on the safer side when it comes to these accessories. Remember that when it comes wearing jewelry in an interview, a little bit goes a long way. A simple pearl necklace with a pair of small stud earrings would be ideal, or even adding a nice watch. When choosing the jewelry you want, there are so many options to choose from. This gives you the opportunity for your personal sense of style to shine through.

While it’s great to feel confident in your outfit when you attend your job interview, having confidence in yourself and your skills are more important. Employers want to know what skills and experiences you can offer them to help their company. Knowing your skills, having confidence, and showing patience in the hiring process will surely lead to very successful job interviews.

Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)