Style > Fashion

Fashion Oracle: Looking Ahead To Spring 2024’s Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

2023 is fading into the rearview mirror, leaving behind trends such as ballet-core, chunky loafers, and parachute pants. The true mark of style, though, lies in staying ahead of the curve. The old and familiar “clean girl” minimalistic look has took the past year by storm and stood its ground for the majority of the past year. However, analytics have shown that this aesthetic is actually on a decline; instead, the “mob wife” aesthetic is on a steady rise (via IG @databutmakeitfashion).

So, as we enter into the new year, it’s time to look at the horizon and discover the hottest trends set to take over in 2024. Here is a list of the biggest trends that showed up in the spring 2024 Ready-to-Wear collections, compiled from Vogue Runway. What are you waiting for? Let’s go through the list and add these to our shopping carts!

1. Transparency and Sheer Fabrics

Sheer fabrics, transparent layers, and see-through details are the most prevalent theme appearing throughout almost every designer collection with an average of 30%. This type of fabric is seen used for tops, dresses (maxi and mini), pants, and even for socks or as the top layer of a skirt. Givenchy (67%), Sacai (53%), and Valentino (40%) are among the designers at the forefront of this trend. Below are some instances of this style that have been appearing on shopping sites. It’s pretty safe to say that transparent fabrics are IN! Make sure you have them in your closet.

2. Leather and Leather Alternatives

Leather emerges as a prominent material of choice, both in traditional and unconventional forms. Faux leather and sustainable leather alternatives appear consistently throughout many designer collections. The average appearance of this fabric also falls around 30% with the leading designers being Hermés (70%), Rick Owens (56%) and Leowe (22%) leading, serving as the leaders of leather fabrics. As mentioned earlier, Hermés has completely embraced this trend by implementing leather for jackets, maxi skirts, knee length shorts, and many more styles. Click on the hyperlinks to see the runway designs!

princess polly leather jacket
Photo via Princess Polly

3. Statement accessories

The next prominent trends are oversize accessories, statement jewelry, and bold handbags. This goes hand-in-hand with “mob wife” taking over “clean girl.” These oversize accessories are featured to complement the familiar minimalist outfits or enhance the new bolder looks. Big sized accessories also appeared in the Pinterest Predict of 2024, as searches such as “chunky hoops” and “sculptural jewelry” have risen by 45% and 75%, respectively. Schiaparelli takes this trend to the next level by implementing supersized necklace, bracelets, and earrings. Even bags are getting bigger! It’s time to ditch the minimal accessories and get some nice, thick, gold necklaces and oversize bags to spice up your looks.

Other Themes

4. Neutral Tones

Many collections include beige, cream, and various shades of brown and gray. Earthy tones and muted colors contribute to a minimalist aesthetic that is slowly slipping away. Loewe, Hermès, and Rick Owens were the ones to continue the dedication to this particular type of color palette, preserving the “clean girl” minimalist looks.

5. Bold Prints and Patterns

Completely opposite of neutral tones are vibrant prints, bold patterns, and graphic designs, which made a statement in many designer collections. This style of patterns are representative of the boldness that the new “mob wife” is all about as florals, checks, and stripes all deviate from the simple, polished, minimalist “clean girl” style. Among the big designers, Valentino, Schiaparelli, and Vivienne Westwood were the most adventurous in implementing these eclectic prints across their collections.

What’s next?

Spring 2024 brings a fusion of styles, combining elements from the “clean girl” and “mob wife” aesthetics. From sheer fabrics to leather and oversize accessories, the key is to experiment to find what feels right for you. Whether you lean towards a minimalist or a bolder style, these trends offer something for everyone. Now that you are already ahead of the game and know what to look forward to, it is time to elevate your fashion game this year!

Katy Tseng an editor for UCSB's chapter of Her Campus. She is a first-year Statistics and Data Science major. Her articles mainly revolves around data-driven observations in pop-culture, fashion, sports, and entertainment. Originally from Taiwan then moved to San Diego, Katy is excited about learning and exploring to expand her horizon. In her free time, she enjoys watching sports, reading, and updating her Pinterest boards.