Fall Textures & Colours to Look out For!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

1. Denim

Denim will always be in style, but this fall I have noticed distressed denim and embriodered denim as a main theme. Buy a distressed denim jacket for that ‘Yeezy’ style or buy one and rip it yourself! Distressed denim shorts and jeans are always a look but the main trend this fall are jeans intricately embriodered with flowers, birds, etc. I have also noticed that random patches with animals, cartoon characters, sayings, etc. are in style and many people are ironing patches on to their favourite denim jacket as an extra accessory. 

2. Velvet

If you’ve been shopping this fall, you’ll know that all stores everywhere are selling velvet items such as bras, two piece sets, dresses, and more. Velvet colours range from teal to blood red to black, but I personally love navy blue velvet, blood red velvet, and black velvet. These colours along with the velvet texture can give your outfit the grungey pop of colour that it needs. 

3. Satin

Satin is silky so therefore you will feel like a soft, silky queen in the new satin shift dresses that are in style right now. Match your satin dress with a black satin neck scarf for a 90s feel. Not only is satin so very comfortable, but it also reflects the light and would look beautiful in a nightclub or under natural sunlight. 

4. Oversized jackets

Oversized jackets, dresses and shirts are coming back this fall. I have seen lots of celebrities pair an oversized jacket or shirt with a black corset belt for a cinched waist look on the oversized piece of clothing. Oversized bomber jackets and denim jackets are not only extremelly warm and comfortable but they are also a great way to style outfits. 

5. Over-the-knee boots

Over the knee boots have made their comback again! We saw so many online stores sell them last year, but this year they are featured with velvet, satin, and knitted textures! Head over to publicdesire.com or ego.co.uk for a pair! These boots can be your fall wardrobe staple and can be worn with t shirts, skirts, dresses, and shorts!

Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay