This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s the beginning of November, and while I know many of us are already getting in the holiday spirit (Christmas is only 8 Monday’s away!), it’s still fall. I don’t know about the rest of the country, but Santa Barbara in particular had a super warm October. It was basically just a continuation of summer. While that was nice, I’m actually glad that it’s starting to cool off and really feel like fall. The mornings and evenings are becoming chillier, so layers are essential. Howeve,r the days have become shorter, which is always a bummer… meaning it starts cooling off around 5 PM. 

Since the weather is transitioning, it’s important to transition your skincare along with it. Colder air, harsh breezes, and midterm stress can do damage to our delicate skin, so we must nourish it and protect it as much as possible. Since October I’ve been using some new products (and continuing to use some holy grail products) on my skin, so I’d like to share them. I’ll first go through my morning routine and then my night-time routine. 

FYI: all products mentioned below are cruelty-free. 

Morning

Image via Lorraine Padgett

1. Milky Jelly Cleanser, Glossier, $18

This stuff doesn’t need an explanation. I’ve written three articles in which I rave about this cleanser, so if you want to know why I love it so much, click here!

2. Stroke of Brilliance Brightening Serum, Versed, $20

Versed is an up and coming cruelty-free skincare brand that’s all about “high performance, not hype” and creating a routine you’ll be “well-Versed” in (ha ha, get it?). They keep their ingredients clean, safe, and non-toxic and not to mention, their packaging is superb! I took their skin decoder survey and they suggested the brightening serum to me. I’ve been using it for a couple of weeks now after cleansing and before moisturizing, and so far I’m loving it. It dries quickly, feels nourishing, and gives my skin a hint of brightness. 

3. Coconut Smoothie Priming Moisturizer, First Aid Beauty, $28

This is another holy-grail product people are probably getting tired of hearing about, but it’s just so good. It’s the perfect moisturizing base before applying makeup. Then, I’ll use either Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen or opt for the lazier option of relying on the SPF in my First Aid Beauty Tinted Moisturizer. Don’t judge me. 

Night-time

Image via Lorraine Padgett   

1. Day Dissolve Cleansing Balm, Versed, $18

For years I’ve been using makeup wipes to remove all the makeup from my face, which has worked fine, but recently the harsh texture of wipes has been taking a toll on the sensitive areas of my face. I’ve noticed that the sensitive areas around my eyes have become dry and patchy from all the tugging and rubbing. This is why I decided to try out a cleansing balm for the first time, and man am I so glad I did. It’s gentle, non-irritating, and so fun to use! The texture is like a thick gel that instantly melts into a balm when touched. It literally melts all the makeup and grime off my face, and soothes my skin at the same time so that it isn’t left feeling dry. This balm from Versed has a light herbal scent and all you do is apply a dime-size amount, rub it lightly onto your skin until your makeup melts off, then rinse. Easy and effective! 

2. Milky Jelly Cleanser, Glossier, $18

Yep, here we are again. Double-cleansing is important, though! Even after the cleansing balm, there’s still crap left on my face (I can tell by the brownish tint my wash cloth has after cleansing… so cute!). 

3. Avocado + Matcha Get Fresh Toner Pads, Ohii Beauty, $16

I’ve used a few Ohii products in the past, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed them. When they came out with these toner pads, I was drawn to the cute packaging and delightful scents. Avocado and matcha? Name a better duo. I also haven’t used toner pads in a long time (I usually just dab some Thayers Witch Hazel on my face), so I thought I’d give them a go again. So far, very pleasant to use. Even after double-cleansing, there’s still grime that comes off my face after using these pads. Imagine: not cleansing. Millions and millions of layers of dirt just piling up on your face, clogging your pores… it’s a terrifying thought. Please cleanse. 

4. Hyaluronic Moisture Boost Serum, Trader Joe’s, $9

Ah, Trader Joe’s. The motherland of all things delicious and aesthetically pleasing. Joe’s happens to have a lovely beauty section as well, and this past year I’ve been really enjoying some of the products. Hyaluronic acid, if you aren’t in the know, is beneficial for locking moisture into your skin. Its sole purpose is to help reduce the loss of moisture to your face, neck, or anywhere else really. It’s your go-to for hydration, especially in cooler and dryer months. This particular serum is unscented, gentle and fast drying. I like pressing it into my skin with the palms of my hands; both the warmth of your hands and the gentle pressing motion can help absorb the product into your skin. 

5. Ultra Hydrating Gel Moisturizer, Trader Joe’s, $9

Another winner from Joe’s beauty aisle. This moisturizer is super light in both scent and texture, and melts like water onto your skin. A little goes a long way, so it’s going to last me a while. It’s a perfect consistency for warm weather months when you don’t want anything too heavy, but can be used into the colder months too. I’ll probably switch it out once Winter’s in full-gear because my skin gets especially dry, but for now I’m enjoying it!

6. Lip Therapy Lip Mask, Awake, $20 

Last but not least, I never forget about my lips. I wanted to find a cruelty-free dupe for the Laneige lip mask, and I think this might be the one. It has the same thick gooey-ish texture and the same pink berry-scented color. I use the smallest amount and it fully covers my lips with a moisturizing layer that stays put until the morning. My lips have been significantly less chapped after using this for a couple of months!

So there you have it, my updated fall season skincare routine. There is never one skincare routine that’s right for everyone. Each of us have products that work better for our individual skin types and lifestyles, but it’s universally important to keep our skin protected during harsh weather months. So go frolic through the fall leaves and keep moisturizing! 

Image via Giphy

Lorraine is a small business owner and graduate from UCSB with a major in Sociology. She loves photography, earring-making, writing, editing and music and is passionate about cruelty free skincare and makeup as well as becoming a successful business woman. You can usually find her binging comfort shows on Netflix for the 3,000th time, creating Spotify playlists for every mood, and dreaming about Harry Styles.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus