Est. 2015: Classics from the Past Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

2015 was by far one of the most memorable years; and like memories from years past, some things will last forever. Here are a few soon-to-be classics established in 2015.

#thedress

2015 started off with a colossal controversy over a picture of a two-toned dress in dimmed lighting. Blue and black, or white and gold? People tried to back it up with science, but will we ever REALLY know what color that dress was?

#justDOIT

Shia LaBeouf has been motivating us to just do it since June of 2015, and probably will for many more years.

#caitlynjenner

Speaking of just doing it, Caitlyn Jenner made her official debut this past year, beginning a whole giddy frenzy for the LGBQT community!

#jurassicworld

2015 also debuted the newest movie from the Jurassic Park series, Jurassic World; where battles between dinosaurs have never been more awesome and epic.

#hotlinebling

Drake’s hotline has been blingin’ since June of 2015 too! His song and his dance moves have been making their way around the world for months now.

#miley,what’sgood?

At the 2015 VMA’s, Miley Cyrus was called out on her cultural appropriation by fellow artist Nicki Minaj. Several memes have been made encapturing her sass, and we don’t think they’re going to end anytime soon.

#voteforkanye2020

That same night at the VMA’s Kanye West proudly announced his running for US President in the year 2020, putting everyone into a huge uproar.

#prayforparis

November 2015 marks the tragic month of praying for the world when Paris, along with many other places around the world, was the victim of a terrorist attack and mass shooting. Like other tragedies, we will continue to keep Paris and the rest of the world in our hearts and our prayers.

#feelingthebern

In 2015 we also began to “feel the Bern,” as in Bernie Sanders for president in 2016! Talks of him running against and beating Donald Trump have swept the nation, as well as the internet.

#theforceawakens

The long awaited seventh episode of Star Wars finally arrived in November of 2015! The force was strong with us this year.

#jbpurpose

2015 was the year everyone became a Belieber again. Justin Bieber released his new album Purpose on November 13th,  2015 – and the world was shaken by it.

#missuniverse

Steve Harvey made 2015’s Miss Universe competition an unforgettable one. His mix-up with Miss Colombia and Miss Philippines will be remembered for years to come!

Happy New Year, my lovelies!

Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay  
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.