Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television
Life > Academics

Enter Your Rory Gilmore Era With These 5 Study Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

The leaves are changing colors, the Uggs are defrosting, and Pumpkin Spice Lattes are once again back in season. That’s right folks, fall is upon us, which means it’s time to put on those fuzzy socks and watch some Gilmore Girls!

Love her or hate her, Rory Gilmore is the it girl for all of us. We would all give anything to study in Luke’s Diner, sipping coffee, and watching as three guys fight over us (Team Tristan by the way).

Unfortunately for us quarter system girlies, midterm season is creeping up on us, which means it’s grind time. So who better to motivate us than our favorite (debatable) Stars Hollow resident? Take a seat, grab a cup of coffee, and prepare to follow these Rory Gilmore-inspired study tips!

Embrace The Fall Vibe

First and foremost, you can’t study like Rory Gilmore without embracing the fall vibe. That’s right, head over to Target and stock up on every fall-scented candle you can find. Make your way over to Pinterest and create a mood board filled with images that inspire you. And most importantly, open your preferred music streaming service and curate a Gilmore Girls-inspired study playlist.

While this may sound stupid, it’s actually proven that music helps us study better. According to Florida National University, studies show that music activates both the left and right sides of the brain simultaneously, resulting in both increased learning and memory. However, it would probably be more effective to listen to classical music as opposed to Taylor Swift to avoid distraction.

Crack Open Those Books

Next, you’re going to have to read, read, read. Rory Gilmore has read a total of 408 books, which, although definitely not realistic for the majority, is nonetheless impressive! Whether it’s for a class or on your own time, reading has a ton of benefits guaranteed to help you do better in school. Reading is proven to help improve concentration, memory, critical thinking, and analysis skills. Obviously, this advice got Rory into Yale, so she must be doing something right.

Find Your Study Tree

You can’t study effectively unless you have a designated study spot. Whether it be a diner, a library, or under a tree, consistency is key. The location in which you choose can make or break your study session. Having a designated area specifically for studying is proven to make you more productive.

Find a place that feels comfortable to you (but not so comfortable you fall asleep). Prioritize choosing a place where you can truly focus; if you become easily distracted, it may be preferable to avoid a busy place like a restaurant. It may take a few tries, but once you find the perfect spot for you, stick with it. But, whatever you do, don’t forget to take a coffee break.

Join Some Clubs

Next, get involved.  Although technically not a study tip, joining clubs and organizations is the best way to gain experience and spice up your resume. Rory participated in fundraisers, volunteer work, the school newspaper, the debate team, AND was the recipient of the Oppenheimer Award for Excellence in Student Journalism. Great job, Rory!

Organization Is Key

Finally, stay organized. All I have to say is that if Gilmore Girls took place today, Rory would 100% use Google Calendar and Notion. But seriously, hot girls have planners! Whether virtual or physical I can’t emphasize enough how essential it is to have all of your assignments, tests, and tasks written out for you to view, whether virtual or physical. There are numerous Notion templates available online that you can use to make academics aesthetic. Let’s romanticize school!

Studying like Rory Gilmore is no easy feat. It requires a lot of hard work, dedication, and coffee. Just follow these tips to the best of your abilities and hopefully, you will be able to achieve all of your academic goals! 

Hey I’m Isabella and I’m a first year pre-communications major at UCSB! I love Taylor Swift, reading, hanging out with friends, and going to the beach!