Style

Easiest (And Cutest) Ways to Help Wildlife

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

You know those commercials where the baby panda cub or seal pup looks into the camera with big sad eyes and hits you right in the feels? Well, I’m happy to tell you that helping those poor little guys is much easier than you think. You can do it right from home, even from behind whatever screen you’re reading this on right now, and get something super special in return!

Sandcloud

What better way to pay tribute to our beautiful Santa Barbara beaches than with a super cute, marine life saving look from Sandcloud! 10% of every purchase supports nonprofits protecting the ocean and its creatures, and they even have a recycled collection made of repurposed plastic. Plus, they’re always looking for ambassadors to sport their hoodies, shirts, and jewelry, so take a Sandcloud towel down to the water for a fun day in the sand!

Image via Captain 8 Supply

Ivory Ella

Get cozy with Ivory Ella loungewear and you’ll be helping beautiful elephants around the world stay safe from the ivory trade that threatens them with extinction. You can find your very own cuddly plush elephant to give as a gift or take home for yourself. And keep an eye out for their special edition seasonal designs to show your spirit at every holiday!

Image via We Heart It

Shelly Cove

Recycled water bottles get turned into adorable turtle tops and bottoms at Shelly Cove, which has been responsible for helping to support sea turtle research and rescue, awareness, and providing huge amounts of both clean water and food to those in need. This humble company started with the intent to help sick and injured sea turtles, and now they need your help to continue growing so that they can continue cranking out adorable eco-friendly clothes.

Image via Corp Magazine 

Happy Sloth Co.

As a college student, I relate to sloths on a spiritual level. Happy Sloth Co. lets you embrace your inner lazy tree-hugger with the comfiest tees and hoodies, shorts and sweats, and accessories, and will send some love to the sloths in Costa Rica by supporting conservation and protection programs!

Image via thepicbear.com

Pela Case

If you go through phone cases as fast as I do because you’re also a clumsy human who drops their phone one hundred times a day, you’ll be happy to hear about Pela Case. No other case has ever been 100% compostable before, and their newest partnerships with Oceana and Save the Waves produced a launch of specially engraved designs to raise awareness and protect whales and coastal ecosystems.

Image via Dieline

Divinity LA

Need some accessories to go with all your new clothes? Divinity LA bracelets are beautifully crafted and feature the cutest animals like pandas, dolphins, and hatchling sea turtles, each with a designated charity behind them to help save the little critters you now carry around with you! By partnering with eight different charities and creating fourteen unique collections to choose from, these LA-based bracelet makers have something for everyone.

Image via Insta Stalker

Wildlife Wands

Even though we all love online shopping for cute clothes, one of the easiest ways to help save some sweet animals is as simple as the wave of a wand. If you haven’t seen the trending Facebook post, let me do the honor and introduce you to the best use for your mascara brushes. Wildlife Wands and Appalachian Wild are two wonderful organizations who use the wands to clean up oil from spills, mites, and wounds that are harming the animals they treat. All you have to do is use a little soap and water to clean the empty or expired mascara wands, and send them to one of the addresses below to do your part in helping heal wildlife.

Appalachian Wild: P.O. Box 1211, Skyland, NC 28776

Wildlife Wands: P.O. Box 1586, Southwick, MA 01077 

Image via Waste 360

There you have it, seven easy ways to help some animals who can’t help themselves, all while coming across some adorable finds in the process. You’ll feel good every time you wear that shirt or slip on a bracelet, so get out there and show our wildlife world some love!

Jordan is a third year Dance major with a minor in Professional Writing, happily pursuing her love of journalism and putting lots of words together in cool ways. She may not have a lot to say in person, but being shy doesn't stop her from expressing all of her opinions here, to share with you lovely people. Hobbies include drinking way more lattes than she should and spending too much time on her eyeliner.
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.