The Dos and Don’ts of Hair Dyeing

Hair dyeing is something we all do at some point in our lives. Personally, I have dyed my hair (or parts of it) so many times that I have learned the ways of hair dyeing so many times over. Here are a few really useful tips that I’ve learned in my times of dyeing my hair.

Do: use conditioner often

Hair dye dries your hair out A LOT. Use a color conditioner every time you wash your hair to restore the moisture and seal the color.

Don’t: shampoo a lot or use cheap shampoo

This can dry your hair even more and strip the color, causing it to fade faster.

(Photo courtesy of Gratisography)

Do: have someone help you

If you’re dyeing your hair at home (like I usually do) it is best you have someone else assist you to make sure you don’t end up with patchy color.

Don’t: wear your good clothes

Hair dyeing is very, very messy. Don’t wear your favorite clothes unless you want splatters of hair dye all over them.

Do: use a comb

This ensures that the color is spread evenly through your hair and gets to every corner of your scalp.

Don’t: blow dry often

This will fade your color so fast, so avoid it at all costs.

(Photo courtesy of Stefan Stefancik) 

Do: think about the color you’re choosing

Basically, don’t commit to a high maintenance color if you aren’t willing to keep up with re-dyeing it.

Don’t: be afraid to try new things

If you really want the color, and you’re sure its what you want, go for it! Sometimes all you need is fresh look.

(Thumbnail courtesy of Unsplash)

Deyana Gorman is a second year pre-biology major at the University of California Santa Barbara from Simi Valley, California. Outside of writing for Her Campus, Deyana can usually be found watching her favorite youtubers, hanging out with friends, playing video games, brushing up on her photography skills, or doing activities with her sorority sisters. She plans on one day studying abroad in Italy, Ireland, and Australia as well as going on road trip adventures throughout California.