Do’s and Don’ts of the Dining Commons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

As an employee in the dining commons, I’ve learned a thing or two about the Do’s and Don’ts of your fave (or not so fave) eating establishments. Here is your complete guide to the UCSB Dining Commons. 

DO

If there’s fajitas or taco meat, make a salad and ask the servers to put some on top to make a delish taco salad.

DON’T

Try to bring back dirty plates for more food from the serving lines. The servers aren’t allowed to serve on dirty plates, so go ahead and bus that old one and they’ll give you a fresh plate!

DO

Get creative with the different lines for food! Fro-Yo machine, say hellooo to the cereal bar.

DON’T

Take chairs from other tables and then not put them back where they came from. When you do this, the employees have to figure out where they came from, and it’s the worst.

DO

Bus your own dishes. Keep in mind that the dining commons employees are your fellow students and save their time and the time of other students by bussing your own dishes.

DON’T

Believe everything you hear about the dining commons reputations. DLG is kiiind of overrated (Sorry!) and Portola has the best brunch.

Fatima is a first year Communication and Middle East Studies double major at UCSB. She grew up in Sacramento, CA and currently hails from the notorious Santa Catalina residence halls. She enjoys puns, coffee, fashion, current events, and writing. When she isn't rushing from class to class, you can catch her studying at Caje, hanging out with friends around Isla Vista, and appreciating everything college has to offer.