This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

STDs, or sexually transmitted diseases, have a strong social stigma. These negative reactions often arise from people who are judgmental about or condemn sex. There are many misconceptions associated with STDs as a result of the lack of public awareness.

STDs are more common than we realize. According to the American Sexual Health Association (ASHA), one in two sexually active persons will contract an STD by age 25 and more than half of all people will have an STD at some point in their lifetime.

Image via dailycal

The newer term STI, or sexually transmitted infection, can help destigmatize STDs by replacing the word “disease” with “infection.” STIs are infections that are fairly common and can affect everyone. STDs do not discriminate against gender, age, race, etc. STDs that are curable include chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis. STDs with no cure are herpes and HIV. HPV is the most common STD in the US and appears to be asymptomatic. Although there is no cure, HPV can go away on its own and vaccinations exist for further protection. Most STDs are either asymptomatic or the symptoms lay dormant for years. Regular testing is recommended. Unfortunately, a positive diagnosis can be detrimental and many people would rather not get tested and continue to unknowingly pass it on.  

In order to destigmatize STDs, we have to build awareness and provide better sexual education (from qualified teachers). People need to learn that STDs are fairly common and some of them can even be easily treated. Safe sex should be practiced at all times. Regular check-ups should be encouraged and emphasized, rather than viewed as an embarrassment and place to avoid. There is more knowledge about STDs today. However, in order to destigmatize STDs, this knowledge must be shared, rather than ridiculed and disregarded. 

Shannie Kuo is a graduate of the University of California, Santa Barbara, and has a degree in English. Her passions include health, fitness, photography, and food and she always strives to look for balance within her life. She enjoys going to the farmers market, discovering new coffee shops, and meeting new people. She hopes to find a career that will reflect her passions and allow her to connect with people nationwide.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)