Decorate Your Living Space This Holiday Season!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Time flies by so fast! Can you believe that it’s already December? Since we have some time left, and if you feel like procrastinating, why not decorate your room or apartment for the holidays? I don’t know about you but for me I love the satisfying feeling of seeing everything come together. Don’t you think It would feel so nice to study in a well decorated and cozy environment? Below, I have some suggestions for things to decorate your living space with!

1. Window clings

Window clings are great because they don’t really damage your windows because you can just stick them there and then take them off when you want to. You can probably find these for under two dollars at places like the 99 cent store. If you don’t feel like going out to buy these holiday clings, and want to be crafty and design patterns by yourself, you can also use puffy paint! Puffy paint is great because you can do your design on the window, let it dry, and you can scratch it off (should be fairly easy to get one corner and take the whole thing off) when you want to get rid of it.

2. Little Lights!

Little Christmas lights around the window or hanging on the walls are always a perfect addition to your living space! They look extremely cute and come in a variety of colours. You can find these almost anywhere selling holiday related things. I got mine at Home Depot for $1.99 and they had one hundred little lights; it is a pretty good steal!

3. Streamers

If you don’t feel like getting a Christmas tree and hanging ornaments on that, you can always opt for streamers which are a lot lighter and are significantly easier to put up. You can get two or more colors of streamers and twist them together and put it on the top of the wall or hang them from the ceiling.

4. Small ornaments

During my freshman year, one of my roommates gave my whole group of friends each a little snowflake ornament that we hung on the lights we had in our room. They looked so beautiful because of the sparkly reflection off the lights! They could be found in packs at the store and come in all kinds of different designs. If you are really feeling like personalizing your ornaments, there are plenty of DIY projects online. You can also cut out snowflakes out of paper and tape it on the wall.

5. Stockings

Stockings are extremely cute and could be personalized. You can get one from the store or you could even make your own and decorate it however you like. What else can greet the season better than stockings hanging on the wall in the living room or on the door? If you don’t want to make holes in the wall with a pushpin, you can always invest in sticky hooks (something like Command Hooks) that do not leave a hole in the wall and get the job done. You can use them to hang sweaters afterwards if you really wanted to also!

6. Garlands or Removable Stickers from Painted Walls

Garlands are always a cute addition to a room for any type of event! Whether it’s for a birthday or anniversary or even the holidays, there are multiple styles of garlands and there must be one to fit your style! They come in a variety of different colors and sizes too. You can also find DIY projects for making garlands online as well but just googling it. If you feel like doing another style where the letters can be alternating up and down, you can opt for letter stickers that you can stick on the wall and take off without peeling your paint!

It’s always nice to get festive around the holidays and it’s fun when you decorate with your friends and roommates or housemates too! Hopefully this gives you some ideas and I wish you all a Happy Holidays!

Hello! Devonne is a fourth year Chinese major with an applied psychology minor. She loves to binge watch shows on Netflix, trying out new food, and writing her penpals during her free time. She has an obsession with being organized and the Container Store a little too much. She is also interested in learning more about watercolor painting and modern calligraphy. 
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.