This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Whoever said time flies wasn’t lying. I can’t believe I am now a senior and will be graduating this Spring. Soon I’ll have a “big girl” job and be forced to face the challenges of adulthood. In all honesty I’m terrified, mainly because I’m worried I’ll be stuck in a job I hate, or my life won’t be exactly as I had imagined. I’ve enjoyed college so much that I wish I had more time. But as the saying goes, “all good things must come to an end.”  

Even though I am scared to graduate and face adulthood, I am still somewhat excited to see where I will end up. I mean, a couple years ago I wasn’t going to attend UCSB and I had this same feeling of anxiousness about how my life would be once I attended college, but I’m glad it has turned out the way it has.

As I write this, I can’t help but look back at everything I have done and accomplished. During my time here, I was able to make new friends and figure out who I was and who I wanted to be as a person. I changed my major a couple of times until I found something that I enjoyed. I have been able to get out of my comfort zone and join organizations that allowed me to make connections, gain new skills, and even revisit my passion for writing and publishing some works. Although I wouldn’t change a thing, there are a few things I would have appreciated knowing as a freshmen or even throughout college.

I began to wonder if other seniors felt the same way. As I asked my peers, I was surprised to find out how many of us felt the same way. As I talked to some of these people I managed to gather some amazing advice that I know I would have loved to hear as a freshman.

Saryna G., 4th year Biology major, shared with me, “enjoy college while it lasts, make time to go to the beach and enjoy the campus and everything it has to offer because looking back it goes by fast.” Also,“only keep people in your life if they help you become a better person.”

Eliana Quddos, 4th year Sociology major, also said to cherish your first year and make sure you try to get involved with clubs or organizations that interest you. 

I definitely agree that first years should try to get involved as much as they can. First of all, it’s a great way to make friends and begin exploring new interests. For example, when I joined HerCampus, I was able to start creating a writing portfolio and it has allowed me to find what I’m truly passionate about. 

Diana Quirarte, 4th year Sociology and Feminist Studies double major, had a lot of advice for incoming freshmen she wanted to share with me. She said, “Don’t be afraid to ask your RA’s or counselors for advice. Go to school events and games because you’ll regret not going. Join clubs, have fun, but stay safe” and finally …

“Do what you want to do not what everyone else is doing.”

College is the perfect time to explore and figure out what you want to do and you will learn new things about yourself. I know it can be intimidating and there will be days that are more stressful than others, but you will get through it. I’m someone who almost dropped out her first week at UCSB, because I was getting homesick, didn’t have friends, and just didn’t think I could do it. Giving it one more week was the best thing I could do for myself.

Since my first year, I have met amazing people, I have been able to rediscover my passion for writing, I have published some work, and I have come out of my shell and become more social. Overall, these were some of the best years of my life, and I will always remember these times including the harder days. My advice to anyone still in college and to those about to start, is to not stress out about your major. Things will work out and its okay if you fail a class, or you don’t get the grade you wanted, or you aren’t into your major, or you still have no idea what you want to do. Just enjoy your first year and have fun figuring out what your interests are– it’ll all work out.

Alejandra is a fourth year global studies major with a minor in professional writing. She was born in LA and has moved around a lot eventually ending up studying in sunny Santa Barbara. Her hobbies include writing, drawing, and fashion. She also dreams of owning her own clothing line/business.