This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Now that classes have officially begun and you’ve moved into your dorm, you are officially in for the wildest four-year journey of your life. The truth is, you’re not going to know what you’re doing half of the time. And that’s okay. Welcome to college! Image via Giphy

As someone with three years of college under her belt who no longer needs the campus map app on her phone (it’s a struggle), I can now officially claim that I’ve got the hang of it. So, here’s the deal with this thing called college: 

Don’t stress about your major. Believe it or not, not everyone is entirely sure what they want to do after college. Sure, you’re going to meet some people who basically came out of the womb intent on fulfilling their destiny of becoming top surgeons. But this is not usually the case. In fact, 33 percent of undergrads end up changing their major at least once (Education Department’s National Center for Education Statistics). So if you’re coming in as undeclared or are not feeling too hot about your current major, take a deep breath; it’s a process. Focus on taking classes you’re passionate about and talk to your advisors.

Get involved. You’re going to hear this about 1,000 times this year but it’s really the best thing you can do for yourself. Becoming a part of an organization, club, or activity is more than just a resume-builder; it can make or break your experience. Doing what you love and trying new things will fuel your motivation and maximize your college experience. Meeting new people with similar interests will help you find your people and feel at home. 

Go to class. This may seem like a given, but it’s easy to give into the temptation of ditching your 8 AM lecture. Remember that while it’s important to have fun and make the most out of your freshman year, going to class and excelling in your studies is going to benefit you the most in the long run. On that note, definitely take occasional mental health/self-love days if needed. Just remember to stay balanced and think long-term.

Be kind to yourself. Whether it’s wild nights out with your roommates, sleepless study sessions, or late night food cravings, it’s easy to neglect your well-being. Being healthy is about more than just avoiding the Freshman 15 (it’s real tbh), it’s about practicing self-love and doing what’s right for your mind, body, and soul. Being on your own for the first time can make you forget or obsess about your health, so remember to treat yourself with love and patience. Don’t lose yourself.

It’s not all it’s grammed up to be. Some say that your college years are the best four years of your life. Despite what you see on Instagram – and while this may be true for some-  it’s not always sunshine and rainbows. Most of the students in your dorm hall, dining commons, and classes are also probably feeling homesick and uncertain about the future. It’s normal to feel this way; know that you’re not alone.

In these next four years you will be reassuredchallenged, and inspiredYou are going to grow.   

Catalina Fernandez is a senior at UC Santa Barbara, double majoring in Communication and Film/ Media Studies and minoring in Professional Multimedia Writing. Born in Buenos Aires, Argentina and raised in Orange County, California, her creative work focuses on personal identity, feminism, and minority representation. As a Campus Correspondent, she is working to expand on her voice as a content creator and leader for a career in entertainment media. See what Catalina is up to on Instagram @catalina_fernandez!
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.