A Day in the Life of a Her Campus Assistant Editor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s the week before “finals week,” and I’m just about done testing my limits here. I’m going to lose my sanity. Studying at Cajé for countless hours, rushing to work between classes, and receiving frantic phone calls from my mom to make sure I’m still alive are only three of the things I do on a daily basis!

Luckily, Her Campus headquarters in Boston were kind enough to send our chapter the Official HC Survival Kit to help us through the rough week. I wrote about my long and crazy day along with how our fabulous sponsors helped me survive dead week as a collegiette!

Name: Allison Chen

Title: Assistant Editor

Favorite Girl Scout cookie: Lemonades

Currently eating: Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter Ice Cream (omg)

Favorite fashion blogger/inspiration: Aimee Song (@songofstyle)

7:50 am: Why did I think signing up for an 8am class was a good idea? Thank goodness for these Luna Bars from our HC Survival Kit! These Chocolate Dipped Coconut and Lemon Zest bars helped spare my empty stomach this morning and gave me the sugar rush I need to stay awake during my first class of the day.

10:00 am: After my first two classes this morning, I’m already exhausted. Can this day be over already? I need to study for my Italian oral exam later today, so I decided to review my notes on my house deck and enjoy the warm sun and ocean breeze.

12:00pm: My Italian exam wasn’t bad at all! I decided to take quick trip downtown to Galanga Thai for lunch with a friend to celebrate finishing one final…out of four.

1:30pm: UCSB Community Housing Office’s “STUDY BREAK” event was a success! There were free scantrons, blue books, bagels, cookies, coffee and tea for students who needed to destress and prepare for finals week. I was able to break out the super cute Her Campus koozie from our HC Survival Kit for my hot tea. 

6:00pm: Finally done with work and class, which means time to relax and recollect myself. Since I was heading to the gym during the evening and the sun was going to be setting when I headed back home, I made sure to grab my SABRE campus pepper gel + personal alarm to ensure my safety. I also brought along Dirty Rush by Taylor Bell, a book that all my friends have been telling me to read for weeks. And let me tell you – it’s just as good as it’s been hyped up to be!

8:30pm: I’d been craving Chipotle for awhile, and I was so stoked to find Chipotle BOGO Burrito Cards in our HC Survival Kit. Splitting the cost with a friend made my huge chicken burrito bowl with guac (of course) only $4.70. Life is burritoful indeed.

11:00pm: Finally home and just about ready for bed after working on my journalism paper for a bit. I always pull out my laptop to check my emails, social media, and news before going to bed. I’m especially happy about these new Her Campus stickers that I put on my laptop case! And of course after getting some work done, I’m staying up to finish Dirty Rush because I just can’t seem to put it down. We’ll see if I finish it before the end of the night!

Allison is a Global Studies major at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She is the Assistant Editor at Her Campus UCSB a contributor to the chapter's Instagram, @hercampusucsb. Allison believes that life is about balances, but that you can never have too many breakfast burritos. You can follow Allison's personal Instagram at @allycnco for life around Santa Barbara, good eats, and travels!
Mya McCann is a fourth year literature student in the College of Creative Studies at UCSB. She currently lives in Bangkok, Thailand and is in the business of running BKK. On the weekends you can find Mya either in the jungle or on an island. On the weekdays she studies Thai and Buddhism and teaches English to sex workers in the red light district. You can follow her adventures on IG: MyaJoy