This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s that time of year where the winter (“winter” for us Californians…) clothes come out. Instead of letting yourself become weighed down by the layers, maintain your cuteness and stay warm at the same time using these simple, fashionable tricks:

Beanies

Instead of putting your hood up, wear a beanie. They definitely accentuate your outfit by acting as an accessory and yet still keeping you warm. Grey, black, white all are neutral colors that will go with almost anything. You can also have some fun ones with words on them or colorful ones that stand out.

Trendy Boots

Boots can be on the pricey side, but if you invest in one or two, they’ll definitely last you a good while. You can make your outfit funky with a pair of brightly colored boots, such as these red Doc Martens, or you can create a chic look with neutral colored boots that go up to the knee or have a subtle design on them.

Cute Sweaters

When you’re on the go, it’s easier to grab a cosy sweater out of the closet instead of worrying about layers under a jacket. The big, oversized “Grandpa” sweaters are super cuddly, laid-back and cute all at the same time. Knitted sweaters are also perfect; they are the epitome of a winter sweater and yet maintain a girly, snuggly look.

Designed Socks

Long, fuzzy socks are the best on your feet when in the cold. Socks with designs on them definitely add to your outfit when people see these socks peeking out from your boots. Embrace your inner hipster with a pair of Huf socks, take the cuteness to a whole new level with a pair of socks resembling adorable animals, or just wear a pair of socks with some snowflakes on them. Any design you like works, as long as it complements your outfit and isn’t the same, monotonous style as the everyday sports socks.

Scarves

One of the best accessories yet. Whether it’s a scarf with a bunch of stuff going on, or just a nice solid colored scarf, it works. Brightly colored scarves help complement an outfit that is all neutrally colored. While looking cute, scarves definitely keep you warm.

Keep warm & cute this winter!

Cheyenne is a first-year UCSB student currently studying Communication and Environmental Studies. She is a third-culture kid who grew up in Dubai, UAE and therefore loves to travel and challenge the different social constructs that exist within our world. She enjoys writing, exercising, fashion, film, and is a total foodie. You can find her on Instagram @cheyennekab.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.